Chapter Ten: He Speaks

From the voice, I immediately spun around with a glare on my face. His form definitely emitted a tyrannical king. "How strange... I did not think it was one." My brows knitted together, and I let out a breath of warm air. "So you're the King of Shadows?" I inquired in the best tone of intimidation I could muster (which wasn't the greatest, as I was completely caught off guard). The King of Shadows let out a great laugh, nodding his head, the rest of him staying completely still. It was almost doll-like, and his headdress was smooth and pristine, along with the design being quite complicated.

Soon enough, he began to slowly walk towards me as he spoke, "A hero without a partner... How stressful! At least one wouldn't be a match for me and my god!" He hummed, eventually cornering me up against the gate with a ball of energy forming in his hands. As he thrust it towards me, I hastily raised my arms to my sides, pressed my hands together in a praying position, closed my terrified eyes, and disappeared into a bout of light. However, just like that, the floating feeling disappeared as I reappeared back in Kakariko again. This time, the king was behind me, his palm right at the gate where I previously was. When I turned around, I was facing the back of his head. The next few words he spoke made me realize that he was no King of Shadows. "How in the-" He growled and snarled, turning to face me head-on. "You... You have no right!" He stamped the ground much to his dismay, acting as if he were a child.

From his words, I simply sighed and rolled my eyes. "Ha, how could a child like you be a villain?" I insulted with no remorse, "You'll never achieve whatever your goal may be if you don't have any wisdom! Power does nothing for those like you." I knew that this wasn't going to be the final encounter with this so-called "King," but I had to let him know what I was all about, despite my underlying terror. When I said that though, the ruler of Twilight grumbled and disappeared, causing me to look around quickly. I wasn't about to get hit now, and I sure as hell didn't need Link to see me practically dead. Just then, a whipping sound rang in my ears, and then a wave of pain erupted in my body. I let out a small shriek, grunting and straightening myself up. The pain was excruciating to me, but I refused to fall unconscious in only one blow. After all, I had already been doing that enough in just these last few days... That would be pathetic!

With a small laugh, the King of Shadows reappeared and gave a pose as if he were a character from some sort of game. "Power can do many things, such is what I hold!" He echoed, his smirk enshrouded by his headdress. Letting out a warm wheeze, I shook my head as I got into the fighting stance that Lady Kiara had shown me back when Link and I first began this adventure. From my actions, the king couldn't help but laugh. "Now, what is that? Are you actually  planning on going up against me?"

Needless to say, I didn't respond, but I instead did as best as I could. Few hits were actually effective on my opponent, but it eventually came to an end... when I ended up on the ground out of exhaustion. The King of Shadows had worn me down, and I thought I would have enough to get out of the situation, but I was dead tired. By now, a few of the villagers had come to see what was going on but didn't dare step in. Thankfully, the king was so hyperfocused on me that he didn't see anyone else. Walking up to me, he readied his final and most likely fatal blow. I felt the world go in slow motion as he walked, my body beginning to shut down and my eyes closing from the change in energy in the air.

However, yelling broke me from my state. I opened my eyes quickly to find Link's sword in his hands, raised skyward as he went to pull a sneak attack on the king. Something was... strangely familiar to me though in the way he held that sword, I felt as if... That wasn't the right blade. The other being, not being quick enough to dodge, felt the blade's slash go right into his back barely. The King of Shadows let out an almost animalistic screech, slowly turning his face around as a mother would when her child had done something way wrong. A voice rang out as Link slowly rounded the king and made his way over to me, but it was indeed Link's voice! "Run, King of Shadows. You're not welcome here," He spoke, the tone one that sent shivers up my spine. The king, surprisingly, took Link's demand into account, disappearing into nothing with the help of the twilight, similar to Midna.