Chapter Thirteen: Retracting Shadows

Heading out of Castle Town, we ran past the Bokoblins and off further westward to get to Lanayru. Once again, I took the lead to bring Link to Lake Hylia... Or at least what was supposedly left of it. Coming across a minute fork in the road, we simply sailed past them to the left to get to the Great Bridge of Hylia. Just like the east Bridge of Eldin, it was broken and multiple cracks lined the entirety of it. Thankfully, it was still stable as we began to walk across, but that's when the scent of some type of oil reached my keen nose. I raised my head as I began to sniff, Midna doing the same before speaking. "...Hey, do you smell anything funny?" Link turned his head around to find a Bokoblin at the end of the bridge, fire arrow nocked and ready to fire. Link immediately began to growl, but me? I quickly remembered that below us was Lake Hylia... If the twilit beast cornered us with fire, we were dead... The creature raised his bow and arrow and shot over our heads and all the way to the other end and set the oil ablaze. That's when my mind went into a panic. The creature once again nocked a new arrow, firing it right in front of them, which left us in the middle. I glanced down at my paws to find that we were standing in gasoline. "Oh no! We're trapped!" The imp yelped, patting Link's pelt. "Get out of here!" We both looked around before Link noticed a small wooden box, barking to notify me of the find. I twisted around as I felt the fire come closer, the flames raging on. The hero pushed the box forward to get to the end of the bridge, hopping on it and getting on top of the railing. He then jumped straight off, falling as he closed his piercing blue eyes as Midna did. However, I was hesitant to jump off as I climbed up. That's because I knew Lake Hylia was down below and that I couldn't swim. I glanced behind me, a look of terror in my eyes to find that the fire was close to beginning to burn the whole of the bridge. I then shook my head and looked down below, closing my eyes as I jumped, howling on my way down.

As I fell, horror racked my core, and my heartbeat wouldn't slow down. My breathing was rapid and panicky, and my paws trembled. I was sure that I was going to die if no one decided to pull me out of the water, and that theory was going to be tested here. As I hit the water, I panicked, splashing about in the warm water, trying to scramble out. Link and Midna turned around to look at me, with Link jumping right into the water again. He swam behind me, pushing me along until I reached solid ground. My breathing and heartbeat finally began to slow down from my panic, although it wasn't instantaneous. My tail went right between my legs out of fear as I shook the water from my blonde and white coat, as did Link (except for the fact he wasn't scared of the liquid). "Phew... That was a close one. We're lucky there was a puddle down below, huh?"

"So this is Lake Hylia..." Midna observed, looking around with a smile as she put her hands on her hips. "But there's so little water..." The imp shrugged her shoulders, letting a sigh escape her lips. "It sounds like the spirit's spring should be somewhere around here as well... Anyway, let's take a look around..." Link nodded his head and looked at me, to which I agreed to Midna's words. Needless to say, Lake Hylia was more like Puddle Hylia at this rate. Focusing on my senses, the first figures I noticed were three Zoras looking at the dried-up lake. "The drop in water has been faster than predicted... At this rate, Lake Hylia will dry up. It's a race against time..." That's when my theory was confirmed. Something must've happened up there which caused the water to stop flowing. Whether it be a blockage of rocks or maybe something froze, I knew that Link and I would be able to fix it. Looking over to the other two Zoras, their conversation was similar to the main one's.

"We've had absolutely no water flowing from upstream..."

"There's no mistaking it. Something must have happened at the water's source in our home, Zora's Domain."

"Yet how are we to return upstream to our home? With the way things are now, we can't even walk back there..."

"I wonder if the queen and our peers in Zora's Domain are safe..."