Chapter Sixteen: Emergence

To find the Master Sword, I raised my head towards Midna, who simply smiled and transported us into the northern part of Faron Woods. With it being the closest to Trill's shop and the top part of the woods, I figured it would be a good place to start. Little did we know, I was correct. An eeking caught my attention as we walked a little past Trill's shop, and Link's bright blue eyes widened as he stared at a familiar monkey. She hopped from branch to branch, seeming fearful for her life. However, she landed right in front of us, cowering down as creatures we had never seen before surrounded the monkey! They had long, lanky bodies with their grey limbs outstretched. They didn't touch the ground at all, but their faces seemed stitched on as if a child's mother had done then. The creatures also had red capes in the shapes of leaves, flowing in the gentle breeze.

As we looked on, Link and I began to let out a low growl from our jowls. Then, using Midna's help, we spun around and bit down on each one hard. When I bit down, the creatures were like puppets, and they were made of a certain wood, most likely from Faron itself. The monkey, who had been hunched down the entire time, raised her head and peered at the both of us. "Did... Did you save me?" She inquired, tilting her head. "Th-Thanks you! Listen, since you're both so nice, let me tell you something: there's a really pretty wooded area on the other side of this cliff!" The mammal exclaimed, raising her browbone. "I climbed over there, but when I tried to get deeper into the woods, those guys attacked me!" I felt my tail wag by the idea, tilting my head. It wasn't because the attack on the monkey caused the puppets, but because this "pretty wooded area" could possibly mean our target destination! "What's in those woods, anyway?" She questioned, although rhetorically, before making a shrugging motion. "If you're going, please be careful!" The monkey then shifted about for a moment, walking towards us until she got in front of Link. "Your smell... It's so familiar... It smells a bit like a green-clad prince who helped me out once!" Hey!

From the comment, I felt my coat stand on end as my ears swept back with a vexed emotion crossing my brain. Why did I feel like that exactly? I grew convinced, dropping my head slightly. However, after that, I shook my head and followed Link. The male had already gone off to the tree stump's edge, leading us off on our merry way. "So there's another section of forest beyond this cliff..." Midna murmured, a hint of brightness in her voice. "Alright, you two, let's go!" Ah, another jumping portion... Link went up first, seeming as Midna was on his back. Sitting down as he went off, I raised my head and peered up at the bright stars in the sky. It had now become nighttime in our travels, weather clear and no clouds in the sky. It was the perfect time to go out camping if no monsters were around. How I missed those days...

As a little girl, my father would bring all of us kids to Hyrule Field for a trip. My mother would often come along if nothing was happening in the village, and our smiling faces provided good memories to the soul. My gaze softened, and I then dropped my head down to see Midna in front of me. My golden eyes blinked in confusion, but all the imp did was giggle. "You're doing some thinking, huh? What about? Link?" My ears perked up at the sound of his name, causing our little friend to hum and pat my head. "Aww, little wolf's got an interest~!" As quick as the comment had come, Midna sped away and waved toward me to begin our jumps. Up to the ledge, down to a stump, and then off to another. Readying ourselves again, my ears drew themselves back as we hopped across medium-sized twigs, them snapping off the moment my hind legs left.

Eventually, we had come to another side of the Forest, with platforms leading off to another route. My gaze drifted onto Link as my tail began to wag briefly before the wooden scaffolding spun in our direction. Instead of it continuously speeding around in circles, the platform locked in place, which allowed us to hop off the ledge and onto the old wood. As we hopped onto the second one, we waited for a gust of air and jumped to the cliff. Now, we were at a new obstacle! A rope connected the escarpment we were currently one to another one off in the distance. However, there were swinging stumps of trees that hung down from long, green, vibrant vines. Great... Something with timing. Link decided to go first, his blue eyes studying the movements of the obstacles before us. I simply stared in silence, doing the same exact thing before my gaze drifted to Link. As soon as the tree stump passed the rope, that's when my partner headed on forward, fleet-footed as he went. Eventually, as he passed the second one, he turned around and sat down to wait for me. With a nod, I stepped up onto the rope, but my golden-eyed gaze dropped down the cliff and fell into nothingness. I gulped, taking down my nervousness as I closed my eyes and raised my head. Thankfully, my refusal to look down proved to be the thing that I needed to get across the thin rope. With a scuttle across the rope, I had made it to the other side with Link wagging his tail. I hummed slightly, retreating further into the wooded area. What was beyond here, I wonder?