Chapter 15

„What kind of task is that?", I groaned after a while.
„I didn't think this would turn out that difficult...", Dipper agreed.
„Now I understand why the game is called like that...", Ford groaned.

Mabel just got a task where she should find a „Catpillar".
Well... that was quite some time ago.

And we decided to help her look for one, since the game didn't say this wasn't allowed.
"What kind of thing is that, anyway? How is Mabel supposed to find a thing, she has never seen before?", I sighed.
The twins just shrugged.
I looked over to Ford.

He hasn't said much for a while now. I wonder what's on his mind...
"Stanford, have you ever heard of a catpillar?", I asked him. He seemed to snap out of his thoughts immediately.
"No, I have no clue what that could possibly be. But I suppose it's a mutation between a cat and a caterpillar."

"I can't quite make out how that's supposed to look like..", I mumbled confused and earned a few giggles.
"Ohh, maybe it's all fluffy and has cute cat ears!", Mabel said excitedly.
"I don't think that would be cute...", Dipper whispered.

"Well, many caterpillar species have a favourite plant, right? And if the caterpillar we're searching for is half cat, it might love catnip. And since catnip is a member of the mint family, we might look for those.", I said after a really long thinking pause.

"That's a good idea! You heard her, kids. Let's look for mint plants. That's the closest thing we have right now. If that shouldn't work, we can still continue searching on different plants later.", Ford agreed with me, which was honestly such a good feeling, after I ruined one of our points.

"Should we split? We might get it faster.", Mabel asked.
"I don't know... what if we don't find each other again?", Dipper thought aloud.
"I must agree with Dipper, Mabel... This is a jungle and it would be hopeless if one of us got lost here.", I said and she nodded.

*timescip

We eventually found a bunch of mint plants, and even looked on them.
"Is that the thing we're looking for?", Mabel said and grabbed one of the brown, hairy catpillars. It had whiskers and almost not visible ears, since they were so tiny.

Just as she had one of them in their hand, the sound of the game appeared again.
We cheered.
"Woohoo! I wonder how long this took us.", Mabel grinned.
"Honestly, I don't wanna know.", Dipper laughed.

"Stanford. Task or question?", the game continued immediately.
"I think I'll take... a question."
"What abnormal being is your favourite?"
Stanford's eyes just sparked up and he had a huge smile on his face. He looked so happy.
"I was really fascinated when I first witnessed the stomach faced duck. It was quite horrifying, though. But still, something really interesting. But nonetheless I could never decide for only one creature."
It beeped again, which meant, his answer was correct.

I kind of knew he couldn't choose which one he'd like the most. I couldn't either. There are so many abnormal beings, every one more different than the other. It's quite fascinating, just as Stanford said right now.

"You may go to field 51 now."
"Woohoo! We got more than the half!!", Mabel cheered, screaming.
"Yeah, but now the things will get way more difficult, I suppose.", Stanford mumbled.
"That's probably right. Mabel had the first task right now, where we spent more than twenty minutes on.", Dipper explained.
"I wonder what happens in the mystery shack right now.", I said out loud.
"What do you mean?", Mabel asked confused.
"Yeah, what should happen there?", Dipper added.

"I mean, did we just disappear? Are we sleeping? What must Stan think?"
Ford began to chuckle. "You have a point. But I guess we have to ask Stanley that, when we come back."
"Yes, that's right. But let's focus on the quests now, shall we?", Dipper ended this conversation.

"Dipper. Task or question?"
"I take question."
"Who is your hero?"
Dipper blushed.
I chuckled. I knew this one.
"My hero?! Well... uhm... Ford, I guess.", he said embarrassed.
The beep appeared again.
I looked at Ford, who was smiling at Dipper.
"I'm flattered, Dipper. Thank you."

"Y/N. Task or question?"
"No doubt, question."
"What did you want to be when you were small?"
I slightly grinned. "I wanted to be a lot of things, actually. I wanted to become a princess, like all the other girls in kindergarten. But as I grew older, I wanted to become a scientist or a doctor."
What I said was correct.

"Mabel. Task or question?"
"After the last one, I gladly take question."
"Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why?"
I was a little bit shocked at such a question.
I'll definitely take notes for the next round truth or dare.

"Grunkle Stan would most likely want to win the lottery but I'd choose to work. I dunno, this way I could spent time with the people there and had something to do. I wouldn't want to end up all alone."
I was surprised at Mabel's answer. That sounded not like her at all. But her grin told me she was being totally serious. And the beep said so too.

„That was very Good spoken, Mabel."
„Thank you, thank you.", she giggled and bowed.

„Stanford. Task or question?"
„I'll take a question as well."
„What is your biggest complaint about your job?"
„Heh. Well, if you get stuck with your work. I think that is very much the worst thing ever, that could happen. And it did. Several times.
Not getting ahead with your work drives you crazy."
I nodded at this statement. I definitely understood what he meant.
I couldn't even imagine what I would do in a situation like That.

„Congratulations. You've reached field 52."
We cheered again.
„What topic was it this time?", Mabel asked.
„I think it was mostly about a job, or our future job and what brings us to get into this specific job.", I said and earned a look from Stanford.
„Makes sense.", Dipper added.

„Guys, I think we should take the questions from now on. The tasks would probably take too much time.", Mabel suddenly said.
I nodded. „You're not wrong..."
„Alright, sounds good to me. Grunkle Ford?"
„What?- oh, sorry. I was lost in thoughts. I think that might be good, yeah."

What is going on with him lately?...