It Can't Be Them, Right?

<<Pepper>>
"You didn't do anything wrong, if that's what you think," I say. "Delilah, we knew that we couldn't keep this from you forever, but we didn't want to tell you. For one, what we do, what we see, it's not something you should have to deal with too. Also, after you started working here, we realized that you told the group chat more than you ever told us in person. The only way for us to know that you were okay was through text."

She's obviously upset. I mean, I would be too. Sam definitely scared her, and I hope that she doesn't think she did anything wrong. He just has his own things going on.

"Delilah, can you tell us what you're feeling? We just want to help you."

"I'm s-s-sorry," she says in a small voice.

"Kiddo, you don't have to be sorry. No one is mad at you," Nat explains.

"I know that you tell me that no one is upset, but why not? I'm just an annoying kid that wastes your time. I mess up. I need help. I should be able to take care of myself. I'm sorry."

"Delilah, you're 13," I explain. "You are young. You don't have to take care of yourself."

"What?" She asks.

She is completely taken aback by the fact that she doesn't have to take care of herself.

"Delilah," Nat says. "Has a grownup been taking care of you?"

"Ms. Nancy does."

"Before her," I say.

She looks down.

"No. I feel like it's weird that Ms. Nancy makes all the food and everything, but I don't want to upset her, so I don't say anything."

This sweet child finds being taken care of as weird. Being a literal kid is different to her.

"Delilah, before Nancy, who would make you food?" Nat asks.

"I mean, I made what I could, but the kids needed the food more, so I gave them most of it."

"Sweetheart, you made the food for you and other kids?"

"Who else was supposed to make it? I didn't want the kids to handle knives, but I let them help with stirring and stuff like that."

<<Delilah>>
Ms. Potts and Ms. Romanoff are asking some really weird things, and I don't understand why. I mean, the same thing happened when I first got to Mr. Atkins house, where the other boy would make all of the food, and let me help with small things. I had to learn the rest when he left, but I didn't want the other kids to have to deal with that. I only had them help if they wanted to.

"Kiddo, did the grownup in your home before Nancy ever make the food?" Ms. Romanoff asks.

"No, it was my chore," I explain.

"Delilah, could you tell us what kind of chores you normally did?" Ms. Potts asks.

"I had to get the littles kids up and ready for school, and get them breakfast and lunch for the day. I had to make sure that Mr. Atkins had stuff to eat during the day. I made sure the dishes were clean, the laundry was folded and put away. I got the kids to and from school. I helped them with their homework. I made sure dinner was ready for everyone. I swept, vacuumed, I mopped if it was needed. Then there was anything Mr. Atkins told me to do during the day."

"Delilah, did you have any help with these chores?" Ms. Potts asks.

"I mean, the kids helped a little, but they needed to focus on school and being kids."

Ms. Romanoff is about to say something, but someone comes through the door. He doesn't knock or anything. He just comes in.

"Hello ladies," he says. "I was told that I could talk to her today, so here I am."