Practice Makes Progress

<<Pepper>>
Delilah and I are just laying together, and everyone else has left. She has stayed stable, which is a huge relief. She's still shaking, but I think that's going to take a while to stop.

I feel her head rest on my shoulder, and her body relax. I look down to see her drifting asleep. She has definitely been sleeping more than I feel is normal, but Stephen did say that it was normal after everything that her body has been going through.

I bring the blanket up over her to keep her warm, trying not to disturb her. She has actually been trusting me today, and I don't remember ever feeling this happy in my life. I can't believe that I was ever in doubt of this sweet, innocent child when we first started texting.

<<Delilah>>
Something doesn't feel right. I can hear noise, but nothing is making sense. I can't understand anything. Everything is dark. I can't move. I can't do anything.

Open your eyes. You're okay. You'll be fine. Open your eyes to see what's happening. Stop whatever it is you're doing and just open your eyes!

A voice is finally clear.

"Delilah, you're okay. We've got you. Just breathe. No one is going to hurt you. You're safe," the voice says.

I can make out shapes and colors a little bit, and I think Ms. Potts is in front of me, but sideways. I try to blink, hoping for everything to become clearer, but it doesn't really work.

I feel someone brushing my hair out of my face with their hand.

"Hey sweetheart. It's Pepper. You're doing great. It's okay. You had another seizure, and Bruce and Stephen are looking at your brain scan right now to see what's going on. We'll figure this out."

Dr. Banner and Dr. Strange come over to us and both sit down near Ms. Potts.

"Delilah, we have a question for you," Dr. Strange says. "Have you ever had a seizure before today?"

I hesitantly nod. How did they find out? I never told anyone.

"Delilah, there is no easy way to say this, but you have epilepsy," Dr. Banner says.

I just look at both of them with a blank stare.

"If it's alright with you, we would like to put you on some medication to help with the seizures, and some medication for your anxiety as well."

How do I respond? How would anyone ever respond to this? Is this why I've been having horrible headaches and been passing out? Why is this happening?

"Delilah, you need to keep breathing. You're going to be okay. I promise."

I don't even know who is talking anymore. I just want to be able to go back to the way things were. I don't want to bother anyone anymore. I just want to be the person who just went day by day, following the same routine. That was so much simpler.

But I would still be with him. I would still be under his control. I feel like I still am under his control. I can't escape him.

I feel a hand touch my leg, and I immediately retract and curl up onto a ball, looking at everyone.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," I say frantically. "I'll do whatever you want. Please, I'm sorry. I don't want to go back. Please don't make me go back there."

Ms. Potts takes my hands.

"Delilah, listen to me. You are never going back to that house. No one is ever going to hurt you like that again. Everyone in this tower will do everything in their power to protect you. We are just trying to help."