The Internship

<<Tony>>
Delilah doesn't mention anything about the internship while we are texting, so I hope she got the letter. I guess that her teacher may want to give it to her himself, but I just want her to have something to be excited about. She seems like she has gone through so much recently and he knows how stuff like that just piles on. I just want her to know that we have her back and that she can talk to us, even if she doesn't actually know who we are.

Nothing has ever stopped me from doing what I want before, but now I feel like I am stopping myself from being myself. I don't want to freak Delilah out, but I feel like I am a very distinct person, and I don't want her to feel intimidated. I think that we are all going to keep our identities a secret until she gets more comfortable. This is the kid who asked if she could die from being overwhelmed, so let's not go there again.

I look down at my phone again. I can't help but feel sorry for everything she has experienced, but it just doesn't add up. I feel like there is something she isn't telling us, but she also seems pretty happy for a kid who is in the system. She almost reminds me of Peter, just a little smarter. I feel like we will all know when she reads the acceptance letter since she will most likely text the group chat.

Time skip to Sunday night.

<<Delilah>>
I completely forgot about the letter Ella gave me with my homework until I was putting it all into my backpack for tomorrow at school. It is addressed to me and it says it is from Stark Industries. It's probably just a letter saying that they don't want me, but I want to open it so bad since I don't know for sure. I open it and can't believe what I am reading. I go downstairs since I have to tell Ms. Nancy.

"Ms. Nancy?" I ask.

"Yeah, Delilah. What's up?" She responds.

"Um, so, I applied for, um, an internship at, um, Stark Industries last week. When Ella gave me my homework, there was a, um, letter, with it that I wasn't expecting. I completely forgot that it existed until right now, and I opened it. I got the internship. I don't know how this works, but it says that I start tomorrow and that there will be someone to give me a ride there after school, but I just want to ask you for permission since you have the final say," I tell her.

She smiles. "Honey, of course you can go. This is amazing. If you ever need a ride to or from the building, call me. I have nothing better to do with my life. It also gives me an excuse to leave crazy town. All I ask is that you text me tomorrow when you get to the building so I know you got there okay."

I smile and go back upstairs. I can't wait to text my internet friends about this.

Delilah
Hello

Mr. Web
YAY! YOU'RE BACK! 😁😁😁😁😁

Ms. Nat
Hey Delilah

Mr. Parent
Hey kid.

Mr. Arrow
What's up?

Delilah
I finally get to go back to school tomorrow

Mr. Web
That's supposed to be a good thing?

Mr. Parent
I don't care if you're smart, you still have school

Mr. Web
Dang it

Delilah
I have even better news.

Mr. Green
You do?

Mrs. Parent
Please, do tell.

Mr. Little
Did you escape police capture?

Ms. Scarlet
Did you save someone?

Ms. Binary
Did you discover superpowers?

Delilah
No
No, unfortunately
I'm not that lucky
I got the internship at SI!
I start tomorrow.

Mr. Web
That's 🅰️wesome

Mr. Parent
I thought you had a concussion.

Delilah
It'll be fine. The headaches may be really annoying,
but I've managed this long.

Mrs. Parent
Do you get headaches a lot?

Delilah
Yeah, but it's been a year and they haven't
killed me yet.

Mr. Gem
Do they hinder your work at all?

Delilah
It's nice to have a quiet space when I have one,
but I'm not risking this internship for anything.

Mrs. Parent
I recommend you tell who ever your boss will be
that you have headaches. They may be able to
arrange something.

Delilah
Thanks for the advice, but I don't want to get
on their bad side. I'll just stay quiet unless I
really need something.

Ms. Scarlet
Please take care of yourself.

Mr. Green
Yeah, kid. Headaches get worse with a concussion.

Delilah
Really? Definitely didn't notice that when I couldn't
stand without nearly passing out for a couple days.

Mr. Arrow
If that happens at the internship, tell someone.

Mr. Winter
For once, I agree with you.

Mr. Old
Kid, does anyone really know about your headaches?

Delilah
Some of my teachers know. Whether or not
they believe me is the question. My friend also knows.

Mr. Gem
Why would someone not believe you?

Delilah
I wish I knew.

Mr. Parent
Well, if you say something at the internship, chances are
they will believe you.

Delilah
Thanks, guys. I should probably make sure I have everything
I need for tomorrow. Bye.

Everyone
Bye

A/N: Will she figure out she is texting the Avengers? Will her headaches be a bother? Will she enjoy herself? Will she get slammed into another wall? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie Pop? The world may never know.