1| Calm Before the Storm

Nora

"Fuck you!"

"Baby, listen to me-"

I turned around sharply, making him flinch at my expression. "Call me baby again and I'll make sure you become incapable of reproducing."

"Nora, please, let me explain."

"Yes, please enlighten me, Jordan. Why did I come here to find a girl bouncing over you? Why did I come here to hear you moaning someone else's name? I fucking cut short my meeting to surprise you and-"

"That was the fucking problem!" He snapped. "You're always in meetings. You're never here."

"So you slept with someone else because you weren't getting enough attention?" I hissed incredulously. "You knew what you were getting yourself into when you asked me out. You know my work is important to me."

"Bab-Nora, I hardly see you anymore. What kind of relationship is this where I can't even see my girlfriend? I have needs. You're never here. What was I supposed to do?" He waved his hands around.

"You were supposed to fucking break up with me before going off and having sex with somebody else. You were supposed to fucking respect me and show some decency. But you always did surprise me, Jordan, didn't you?" With that I whipped back around, feeling better when I heard my hair slap his face. Fucking cunt deserved it anyway.

"I didn't want to sleep with someone but you left me with no choice." He said from behind.

I flipped him off. "Fuck yourself. You don't deserve vagina."

He didn't follow me after that. He knew he would be signing a death wish if he did. I flung open the door to my car, got in and drove away in full speed. I stopped after a while, pushing my foot on the break and screeching it to a halt in front of an old shop. My head dropped down on the steering wheel, the horn blaring suddenly, making me jolt up. 

I sighed. I didn't know if I was hurt that Jordan had cheated on me, or I was angry that he'd told me I didn't give him enough attention. We'd known each other for a long time, so he knew my work was something I would never compromise. Still, I made time for him everyday. How could he say that I was never around? 

Even though I didn't really have strong feelings for him, and even though we'd been dating for only a month, being cheated on still sucked. It hurt my self respect, something I valued more than life itself. I cut short my fucking meeting for him. I lost nearly ten thousand dollars because of a stupid cheat.

I blinked and composed myself when my phone rang. I took a deep breath, cleared my throat, and answered the call. "Jack?" 

"The Razer's file-"

"Signed and sent back to them."

"I need the list of-"

"Already mailed to you."

"The bank statement-"

"Sent to the board, waiting for their approval."

"Ugh fuck!" He groaned. "You're a lifesaver! What would I do without you?"

"Burden yourself in work and forget about your life." Then I snorted. "Or die, probably."

"Probably." He chuckled. "How was the surprise?"

I bit my lip, pondering whether I should rip the bandage right off or stall. But stalling wasn't my style, so I cut right to the chase. "Well, I walked in on him having sex with somebody else, so I'd say not very good."

He was silent for a while. Then, "You don't sound upset."

"I'm not. I just- I mean I don't know. I'm upset that he cheated on me. I'm not upset that we broke up or I lost him. That just made me realise that I wasn't even into the relationship. Does that make me a bad person?"