3| Curiosity Killed the Cat

Nora

"Lyds," I murmured when we were sitting by her pool that evening. "I think I may have ran into the hottest guy in the world."

She leaned forward, her eyes shining with glee, taking newfound interest in the topic. "Really? Tell me more. Hot in the charming, prince kind of way, or hot as in-"

"Hot in the dangerous, dominating biker way. He looked powerful and it was sexy."

She groaned. "Eye colour?"

"Blue."

"Like the sky?"

"No," I swallowed. "Dark. Like the bottom of the ocean."

She groaned louder. "Those are the best kind. Where did you meet him?"

"In the elevator. We didn't talk much, just a few sentences. But it was so...magnetic. I don't know. I felt drawn to him like I've never felt with anyone."

"Did you get his name?"

"No." I mumbled. "But I don't think finding his name could be that hard. That man is a businessman, is rich and sexy. He has to be famous."

I was on the brink of blushing when I remembered him. I almost felt his hard and deep gaze on me again. I wanted to get an inhale of his rich scent again. I wanted to see his matching tie and pull him close to me with it. 

"Is he really that hot?" She muttered.

"Lydia, how often do I compliment men?"

"Never."

"So if I'm saying he is the hottest man I've literally ever seen, there has to be some truth behind it, right?"

"I guess. Ugh I need to see him then."

"Won't do you any good. Cameron won't let you."

"I can stare at guys, right? That's allowed in relationships." She huffed. 

"You're my best friend and I'll kill Cameron if he hurts you-" She smiled. "But I'll kill you if you hurt him as well." Her smile dropped.

"Who's killing who?" Speak of the devil and the devil appears. Cameron was the opposite of a devil, but the phrase still held good.

"Nora just turned her back on me. She told me she'd kill me if I hurt you." Lydia said.

He smiled widely. "Nora is the best." He gave me a fist bump. "But that day is never gonna come, is it?"

Her smile softened. "No, it's not."

"Very good, guys. Because I hate the thought of going to prison for murdering either of you." I chuckled.

"So coming back, why was he in your building anyway?"

"He said he was doing business."

"Well, if he's doing business there, he ought to come often. You could ask for his name if you see him again." Lydia stated.

"Probably." I said out loud.

Hopefully. I added in my head.

~~

"Good morning, Gracie." I said when my eyes met my assistant's.

She gave me a smile, "Morning, Nora. I've mailed you your schedule for today. You have a meeting with Greg Caser at 12:30. You also need to be there at the manager's meet that happens at 5 today. Oh and, your mother called."

"She did now, didn't she." I mused. "Get her on the line."

Gracie nodded at me and I made my way over to my office. It was a large space, a huge cherry wood desk in the middle, scattered with files and papers all around. There were two couches at the corner, the white in them contrasting against the black of the walls. The board kept at the side of my table was wiped clean, waiting for me to write on it the things I was bound to forget, but had to remember.