19| Fallen

Nora

"No! That's not what happened, stupid." Harper muttered under her breath. "You fell on top of me."

"Shut the fuck up." Hunter grumbled. "You did."

"You."

"No, you."

"Yo-"

"Shut up." I slapped my hands on the table in front of me, making them jump up. "It doesn't even matter who did."

Harper glared at her twin as he narrowed his eyes at her. They both looked exactly same, blond hair, brown eyes, olive skin. The shape of their nose was the same, the structure of their jaw was the same, but their personalities was hundred worlds apart. Polar opposites.

"Hi guys!" I heard an extra squeaky voice behind me, and my face instantly turned into a scowl. "Nora, surprise seeing you here."

"Back at you. I'd thought you'd be too busy doing god knows what." I muttered.

"Making money." She smiled smugly at me. "I'm busy making money."

I smiled back at her. "Sure. It's a pity money can't buy you a personality, Ash."

Ashley scowled, and opened her mouth to say something back to me, but when my mother made our way over to us, she stopped herself. Mom smiled at all of us, then told us dinner was served. I got up, and she stopped me. "Where's Nicolas?"

"I thought he was with you?" I asked. I winced at how bad of a host I was being. "I'll look for him."

I knew he wasn't inside the house. So when I went outside and looked at the bare fields, I started to worry. Then by instinct my eyes went over to the shed, and my feet carried me over to there. I didn't know how, but I knew he was there.

Nicolas was sitting alone in front of Silver, brushing his white hair using his fingers. As if he sensed me, he lifted up his head and gave me a small smile. "Hi."

I knew something was wrong then. He didn't say 'hi'. He always said my name as a greeting.

"What's wrong?" I made my way over to him.

"I thought I could handle it, but- but I can't." He looked down again. "I don't know how to do families, Nora."

I sat down beside him. "What do you mean?"

"My parents sucked. That's how I remember them. And I don't know why I'd been expecting yours to suck as well. They don't. I don't know how to handle that."

"You wanted my parents to suck?" I asked slowly. "Um, why?"

"Because they're being nice to me and I don't know how to fucking react!" He gritted his teeth. "I expected them to be formal, cautious. Why are they not being assertive to me?"

"Because they trust my judgement." I said. "Because they know I can take care of myself. Nicolas-"

"But they don't fucking know me." He snapped. "Fuck, I shouldn't have come."

My nerves prickled with anger. "What?"

When he didn't say anything, I got up and walked towards the door, clenching my fists tightly. Him saying that hurt. If he didn't want to come he shouldn't have said yes. He shouldn't have given me hope, given my family hope.

"Get back here." He hissed from behind me.

"You made yourself pretty clear, Nicolas." I flipped him off.

My neck was suddenly grabbed from the back and he roughly turned me around, slamming his lips on mine. He conveyed his anger through his mouth, what he was angry about, I didn't know. I fist my fingers in his shirt, biting his lip hard enough to hurt, denying his tongue any access to enter my mouth.