chapter 5

naoya zen'in

Naoya being caught off guard with that reaction, he got scared by her look. "What the fuck are you talking about?" "There was no way anyone knew that Toji was living with us." "What about the girl's friends?" "Why would any of them want him dead?" "How could I know." "Don't play stupid with me. It was either you, your father or any of your stupid uncles." "Hey!"

Being done with her attitude, he stood up and towered over her.

"Who the hell are you, allowed to talk about anyone of my family like that? You are scum that has no right for anything, you woman. You think you're good, huh? Who do you think you are? You think you could change Toji? You think you could take care of his child? Who the fuck do you think you are?"

"Oh, people, bow down, Naoya Zen'in is talking." She scoffed. "Can you even hear yourself? I am not thinking that I am better than you, I know it. Not only am I superior to you in knowledge, I am also superior to you in strength, so I'd choose to shut up. And the hell no, I don't want to change Toji, do I look like I would do something like that? He is the way he is and his son does deserve more than your filthy family." Ending her sentence with a slap across his face, she looked at Yaga.

"I won't participate in this and I am not even sorry for it." She walked out of the classroom, stomping through the hallway, until someone touched her shoulder.

"Kayo?" She turned around to the familiar voice of her sister. "I will be participating, I can't leave my friends alone." "Then you must know that I can't leave mine alone, right?" "No. You're not giving us more trouble than Fushiguro-san, right? We can't take you both down." "Excuse me? Why are you suddenly planning on killing me?" Shoko rolled her eyes. "But don't try to stab him at home or something like that, you'll only be there to help your friends, right?" She nodded as a response to her sister's question.

Kayo completely understood why Shoko was doing this. Leaving them alone, even if it is Satoru, it was too dangerous. Toji was too dangerous. A tear was rolling down her cheek, as she exited the school doors. She wasn't stopping anyone. She wouldn't stop Toji if he tried to kill the students and she wouldn't stop the students if they tried to kill Toji, but taking a side and helping? That was something, she wasn't going to do.

Before she could leave the main gate, she again bumped into someone. "Damn it, again? Can't y'all look at the person in front of you?" Looking up, her eyes met the ones of Naoya Zen'in. That man was faster than light, what was she expecting, of course he was going to somehow catch up on her.

"Take it back." "What?" "Take back what you said about my family." "Why should I? I am telling the truth." "Just get over yourself and take it back." "Since when did you care what I, an independent, unmarried woman, who works instead of doing chores, have to say?"

This hit him hard. Actually, why was he doing it? He could care less about her opinion.

"People like you shouldn't look at us like that. As if you're better. You can't even see a curse that's required for your job. You can't even be sure if you do stuff right, you have to always rely on others Ieiri. You'll never be independent like this. NEVER."

Independence was something Kayo cared about, a lot, since her parents had died, she'd been there for her little sister. Having no family around, it made her start to make money even when she was little. After getting into jujutsu, her life changed, the amount of money she made was a lot more, her life was definitely better. She was proud of her accomplishments. She was proud that she did that alone. Kayo was proud.

"You had to step that low to defeat me?"

Tears were building, she couldn't hold it back anymore. The situation about Toji, now this. She broke down like a doll. Her knees met the ground, but she didn't feel it. What was she going to do about this? Her head was empty. The thought of being a bad sister for Shoko, the thought of losing one of the most important people in her life, her best friend. She wasn't that type of person who would recover from it quickly.

If Toji died... who knows what she would do, after all he is one of the few lights in her life.

Putting her face into her palms, she started to hit the ground. "Damn it Naoya Zen'in, damn it. Why are you doing this?" She refused to look at him, but when she did, he couldn't believe her expression. Throughout all those years, he had never seen her show any emotions, any emotions other than happiness or anger. He even started to doubt the fact that she was capable to cry.

Not knowing what to do, he just stood there and looked at her. He wasn't going to comfort her, that definitely wasn't a man's job, he just stood and looked until she got a hold of herself and stood up. "Goodbye Naoya Zen'in." She walked past the gates, making her way home, with the aim to not tell Toji about this. He wouldn't want her to.