chapter 17

naoya zen'in

"So, that's basically everything." Taking a deep breath after her long talk about his father, she sighed. "I feel sorry for never wanting to find out." "Don't. That's completely normal. The important thing you have to know is just... he isn't bad, he never was. Well, he of course isn't the best person, neither the most peaceful. He wanted to give you a good life Megumi. If you grew up in his hands, oh god, I can't even imagine something like that." She laughed, "After all, I hope Satoru wasn't a bad choice. Better than your clan though." Megumi smiled a little at that comment.

"Why didn't he leave me with you?" "I think I am in no position to answer that. I don't even know." She waited a little until she mumbled something, rather unintelligible. "Maybe one day he'll tell you himself." "Excuse me?" "Oh, it's nothing." She lowered her head, thinking. "Megumi, would you like to come to my wedding in two days? You know, you don't have to it's just-" "Sure." Widening her eyes at his answer, she smiled a little.

"You're seriously going to marry him, huh?" "As I said, Toji was the one to break promises, not me." "I am so sorry for you." "Why, thanks."

——

"You're late, Kayo." Her tired eyes were looking into the soul of her sister. "Why?" "Why what?" "Why are you waking me up?" "You're hopeless. You had ten years to catch up on your sleep and you didn't." Shoko sighed. "Your wedding." Quickly standing up and straightening her back, she was about to black out because of the sudden act.

"You know what? He changed." "You're worse than me. You've been talking about the same thing for days." "Whatever." She made her way to the bathroom, again thinking about the talk she had with Naoya. What happened that he changed like that? Was it her fault? She shrugged her shoulders off, making her way, to prepare herself for the day.

Meanwhile, the Zen'in household was in complete stress. Preparations after preparations, everything was important, after all, Naoya was the first choice as the head of the clan and his wife wasn't just an ordinary woman.

"Naoya." Naobito walked up at his son. Before he could say anything, the father slapped his son's face. "Get over yourself. As much as she isn't like any other woman, a divorce is the worst thing. Even Mina didn't divorce her husband. Kayo Ieiri must know her place." Glaring at his own father, Naoya scoffed and walked out of the room, as always, right into a maid. "What do you want?"

Fearing his tone, she lowered her head, "You were supposed to fill Ieiri-san in on information, Naoya-sama." "Tsk." He pushed her away, walking outside to call her.

"Hello?"
"Ieiri. You're supposed to be here in 4 hours so we can get you ready. The ceremony will start at 2pm."
"I am fine, Naoya. Thanks for asking, how are you?"
"Fine."
"We should be able to communicate you know. I don't wanna go through all those steps again. Later."

She hung up on him. He knew very well what she meant. Through the visits with Toji ten years ago, they grew closer but now, they were on worse terms than before. "Whatever." He said to himself and walked back inside.

"Shoko, could you tell everyone that the ceremony starts at 2?" "What am I, your secretary?" "You're my lovely sister, wouldn't you do that for me?" Kayo yelled through the whole house, the same old house from years ago. "Aren't you just eating Kayo? Go do it yourself." "This my dear friends, is the true form of Shoko Ieiri, a lazy little motherfucker." "You're one to talk." "Shut up." Taking out her phone, the first person to call was Satoru, after all the twins were going to be there because of their family and Satoru could reach out to Nanami and Megumi.

"Satoru?"
"Oh, Kayo-san." She could hear his smile through the phone.
"Yeah, just wanted to tell you, that the ceremony is at 2 today."
"Oh, I am really looking forward to it. It'll be fun."
"Imagine being in my situation."
"Thanks but no." Kayo sighed, why was he always so hard to handle?
"Whatever, could you tell Nanami and Megumi?"
"I have an idea."
"Don't."
"Come on. What about this, I bring the other first years with me?"
"Why would you bring them to a Zen'in wedding? Do you want to bore them to death?"
"They won't get bored, I swear."
"Do whatever you want, don't forget to tell Nanami."
"I won't. Oh and there is this other person that needs to come either."
"Needs?"
"Sukuna. I can't leave him alone, you know, special grade and all."
"If he won't massacre the whole thing, do what you want."
"Thank you Kayo-san."
"Whatever, Satoru."

———

"No, the cloth has to be more on the right than on the left." "Oh shut up, how much do you know about all this, huh?" "Ladies, please, let's not make the bride uncomfortable." The woman, whose name Kayo had forgotten immediately, smiled at her, pulling a little on her kimono, just like the two other girls in the room.

After an hour of pulling and changing of the clothes she was wearing, everything was finally done. Her hair was tied up with a few ornaments in it, a white kimono was covering her body, only her face was as always. Tired and uninterested.

"Can I go outside?" "Oh no, of course not, what if Naoya-sama sees you? He shall see his beautiful bride at the ceremony." "Can I at least get some alone time? Please?" The maids hurried to leave the bride alone, who on the other hand was annoyed by this atmosphere.

She moved her hands, put them together and moved her index and her middle finger down, their tips still touching. Wanting to cast her domain, she got interrupted by a knock on her door. "They can't leave me alone, not even once." Opening the door, the black haired maid told her that the first guests had already arrived and asked, if she should bring anyone to Kayo. Earning the shake of her head, the maid again left the room.

Taking her phone out, Kayo tapped on the caller of Toji and waited until the mail box dropped and started to talk into his voice mail. Oh, she did this not only once. Since the day she came back to Tokyo, Kayo called his number, ranting about the events and people.

Her long talk was again interrupted by a knock on the door. "Ieiri-sama, it is time."