chapter 27

naoya zen'in

"What do you want to do now?" Naoya asked her. Kayo's head was on his chest while he was playing with her hair, taking strands to form them. "I don't know." She sighed. "After all, I don't have to actually work. And I don't think I have the motivation to actually go back to Jujutsu Tech. I have enough money from all the work I did those ten years, there's nothing that I want to do. Except," she thought a little about this, "I should try finding more about that cursed brain, that's been controlling Suguru's body." She shrugged her shoulders.

Realizing how silent her husband had gotten, she asked, "Is everything alright?" "It is." "You're so silent." "I like to listen to you." That wasn't a lie and Kayo knew that. Even before Toji had died, he had always listened to her talk. Sometimes showing more interest, sometimes showing less.

"What are you going to do now, Naoya?" "I don't know yet. But to inherit my father's role, I need to do a Zen'in tradition." "Hm." She nodded slightly, "When?" "Winter." "So, you have enough time for it." "Around a year." "Yeah." They both remained silent until Naoya broke it.

"Kayo. There's an event next week, our family event. You know, I'm going and they'll expect you to come too." "I know." "Under the name Zen'in." "Oh." She sat straight next to him, "After all, I am a Zen'in now, right?" He looked at her, nodding.

"You know that I do have to do this thing." He said. "Thing?" "I have to be different around them." "Oh, yes, the persona that calls women sluts and trash. The one that thinks so highly of himself. I don't understand why you just can't keep this side of you open for everyone." "You never do." "What does that mean?" "We grew up in two different environments, just grow up and don't care about it anymore." "I don't even mean it in a bad way." "I don't care." She felt bad. She genuinely felt bad about this. She had always picked on this trait of his.

He sighed and looked into her eyes, "Would you let me?" "Would I let you what?" There was fear on her face. No reason why but whatever she had imagined, it wasn't good. "I'd have to mistreat you at our house." "Of course not." He raised an eyebrow, "So you want some unnecessary talk about women being inferior to men?" "Well, no." "Then let me mistreat you." "If you want to. Fine, do it." She moved her head around, taking her phone. She sighed, thinking about how uncomfortable this made her.

"I need to go talk with someone." She stood up and walked towards the garden. Opening the door, she took a deep breath while typing something on her phone. She waited for a few seconds, as her phone screen started to lighten up. "Yuki?" "Ieiri-san, you're back?" Yuki's sarcastic tone could be heard clearly. "Yes and I need a favor." "Let me hear then..."

-

"I'm leaving." Kayo gently touched Naoya's face to wake him up. Holding onto her wrist, he squeezed it harder than he actually wanted to. "Where?" "Jujutsu Tech." He now opened his eyes to look at her, "Didn't you say Jujutsu Tech was not necessary right now?" "Yeah, yeah, I might have. Anyways, I'll need to meet with a few people. Call me about the details on your family."

Leaving her husband alone at home, she decided on something. That this relationship was never going to be more than what it was right now. There wouldn't be more love, more closure. She decided to keep her distance. It was for his and her well-being after all.

-

"Kaaaaaaayo." An arm wrapped around the woman's shoulder. "Your eyes are as tired as always." Yuki was now staring at the brunette in front of her. Kayo opened her mouth just to be interrupted by the other, "I called and paid Mei here and Satoru told me to tell you that you'll be taking over his class. He has work to do, with special grades and all." The older one widened her eyes, "How awesome", she said with a fake smile.

"Oh, you're already here." A voice said from behind. Yuki turned around, moving Kayo too, "Welcome Mei Mei." "Let's appreciate our beautiful Kayo before she disappears again." "Anyways," Kayo sighed at that comment, "Looks like we'll have to wait for Satoru, keep on doing your things until my class ends." Yuki walked towards Mei, "We'll have a fun time, right Mei Mei?" "That's subjective."