chapter 25

naoya zen'in

"I can't quite accept how Ieiri-san grew fond of Noaya-san." "There's a lot, one doesn't understand about Kayo Ieiri." Maki said to Megumi, a tear rolling down her face which she quickly removed. "So, Shoko-san is dead, huh?" "Seems like it." She stood up, walking towards the way the school was headed. "Where are you going?" "She said that we should return to the school if anything bad happens. I think you can call this bad." Megumi stood up, looking at the two that were arm in arm, the one comforting the other. "What about them?" "Kayo-san needs to calm down first. Naoya's always been her comfort. Even at Toji's death." She sighed. "I hope she doesn't vanish again."

As they both made their way towards the school, they started to talk, "What do you mean with, 'There's a lot one doesn't understand'?" "I mean, she's quite normal to be honest but you know, she's been close to the Zen'in clan ever since and if I were her, I would've never done things she did. I would've broken my contact with them after my first encounter. I would've never married Naoya. It wasn't even her promise." Maki sighed. "And she's nice. She's funny, nice and definitely someone who'd support you in whatever you do because she knows the actual person you are. That's probably the same about Naoya. There's more to him than we see and know. Naoya must be more than just a misogynist if Kayo likes him. And he's been acting way friendlier since their marriage."

"Just like Shoko-san and Geto. She never stopped him, even after he turned his back to them but he never did anything to her. They were friends and their only difference was their beliefs. The person deep down was still the same." Megumi stared holes into the asphalt, staring at them with the most serious look he had. "I think Gojo sensei went for Okkotsu-senpai." "I guess so."

-

When Naoya and Kayo arrived at the school with Shoko's body, quite a few of them were already waiting. "Satoru, you're looking more serious than normally." "Isn't that appropriate." "I bet Shoko wouldn't have recognized you." Laughing a little, she thought about all the things that happened. The little note her sister wrote, everything. Everything was crossing her mind while she looked at the white haired. Not only memories of what happened a few hours ago. Not only memories of that brain inside of Suguru. Also Toji. Everything that happened with Toji came into her mind.

The first time they met, ranting about Naoya. When she decided to let him live with them. Everything they did together but also everything she did alone because he was dead.

"Kayo?" "Hm?" "You've been staring at Gojo for a while." She shook her head, walking inside, looking at the boy. "Hello, Ieiri-san." She just nodded to him, laying down Shoko on one of the beds. "There's a high possibility of this not succeeding because my actual technique isn't the reverse curse technique. That's why its range isn't as wide as Shoko-san's." "Just try. It's better than doing nothing."

A while had passed but nothing had happened. Everyone lost their hope and mourned for her death. "I'm sorry. As I said it may be becau-" "It's not because of your technique. She has no cursed energy flowing inside or at least outside of her anymore. People like that normally don't survive and the only person that could was Toji. Shoko... is not Toji."

She then realized it. She didn't say goodbye. She hadn't even realized her condition. Pure hate for herself and grief were the only things she started to feel. Her calm state changed, she turned into a beast who was just nervous and anxious. "Naoya, let me say goodbye." Her emotions started to take over. "Oh no." Maki wanted to say something but was shut down by Naoya, "Kayo, look. Look me into the eyes." He held her shoulders, smiling at her. "You'll be fine. I'm here." "I know that. I know that I'm not alone but I couldn't say anything to her. I couldn't even say goodbye." He let go of her, standing next to her. All the students stepped back as a little circle formed around her. In that exact same moment, Maki hit her head with one of her tools causing her to fall into Naoya's arms.

———

She woke up, more calm but still in the chaotic state she was in like before. "Let me talk to him at least." "So that was no rush of your emotions?" "It was but it was more controlled." "Kayo that wasn't controlled." Naoya started to raise his voice. Hearing that, Megumi wanted to say something but Maki stopped him, "Even if it's Naoya, he's doing it with a reason." "Which is?" "Listen." Listening to his talk, Megumi started to realize,

"If you controlled expanding your domain on emotional basis, that's just as bad. You could've killed someone. You could've destroyed the whole school. Kayo, promise me, after your talk with him, you're going to stop using hallucinations." "Noaya, I know. God, that's why I want to talk to him." Naoya gave up on talking and gave in, "Then do." Confusing everyone else in the room, she opened her domain, turning the ground into water.

As everyone there saw Toji standing in front of them. Kayo was laying on one of the hospital beds, "Why are you laying there?" Toji looked in a disgusted way. She stood up, her head still hurting from the hit Maki gave her. As Toji appeared, Naoya left the room, going outside for fresh air. "Ah. Whatever. What do you want, Kayo?"

Meanwhile, Satoru and Okkotsu had left the room, leaving only Maki and Megumi staring at the man. "Kayo-san?" "Hm?" "Is he real?" Breaking into laughter, Kayo hit Toji's side. "He's an illusion but I make the people in my domain believe he's touchable." "Kinky." "Oh, shut up Toji." She again started to laugh. I haven't seen her laugh like this in forever, Maki thought to herself, looking at Megumi who now had realized who that man was.

"That's?" "Oh, he is." Kayo smiled at him, earning quite the uninterested look by Megumi. "Now come on. I told you why things happened." She held his shoulder, "It's not his actual self after all. Just my image of him but I'm telling you, he's way worse in real life."

"Megumi, let's go out. After all, Kayo-san wanted to talk to him, right?" Maki held him by his shirt and took him outside.

"He looks so thin." "Just shut up, Toji." She sighed, laughing at his first comment.