Prologue

I looked at the white gown hung at the door of my closet as I steam ironed it.

My wedding gown.

It's been six months since I have been married. Everyday since my first night here, I ironed it and kept it hung at my closet door so that I can see it every moment. It's not just my wedding dress, it's the reminder, the reminder of that dreadful moment when I was sentence to his cage for life.

Looking at it my whole life came in front of me and my mind went to the day when the deal of my marriage got settled

"Mom I don't want to get married, I don't want to go with him to Don's house, tell Father that I won't go" I said to my mom when my marriage got fixed with Don's son when I was six years old.

"Really, my princess don't want to get dressed in the beautiful Cinderella gown" she said cradling me as I sat on the stairs in our garden with my chin in my palms in anger."Cinderella gown!" I asked excitedly and she nodded. "I do want that" I said getting down the garden stairs with my small steps followed by my mother "Then, why are you upset my little pumpkin" she said crouching in front of me, pinching my chubby cheeks "aahh...." I rubbed my cheeks and she laughed. "But I don't want a husband like you have Father" I said looking down. "Why are you saying this princess?" She said "Because he is a bad man" "uh-huh princess I told you not to say like that." She said lifting a finger and I turned away I don't like how he behaves with my mom but she never accepts that he is a bad man. "Okay you tell me what my princess wants?" She said turning me to her and cupping my cheeks. "I want to run away from here" I said happily and she chuckled "Really, and where will my little pumpkin go?" "Far away from here. Where I can fly" I said and started circling her giggling with my hands stretched and she laughed looking at my antics.

A smile came to me thinking of that moment but it was thirteen years back. I am not six anymore. I looked at gown and the vision of that fateful day came in front of me.

When I said I do, I didn't say it as a consent to take the love of my life as my husband. When I said I do, it meant that I sign off my ownership to the heartless monster standing at the altar.

The ring I wore was not a diamond solitaire but his name tattooed on my ring finger as the stamp that tells the world that I am his property, literally. His toy. His beautiful obedient toy

The threshold I crossed with my husband was not my home, but my cage. The gilded cage he built for his new toy.

I was sentenced to this because it was my punishment and my offense was that I dreamt. I dared to dream. A dream to love, to live. I believed in my dream, in my love and just before I was about to spread my wings to fly, life snatched my sky from me and trapped me in his chains.

I am Sage Romano, well not anymore, I am Sage Rivers and this is my story...

I looked at the black metal kept on the glass table in front of me.

My Gun

Twenty three years. It's been twenty three years since I got it. It has been with me everyday since then. I picked it up and took out my white cotton handkerchief from my jeans pocket. I cleaned it. It has seen so much with me. It had quenched its thirst so many times that I can't even remember. Cleaning it's nozzle I squint my eyes. It took me to the day I got this.

"What is a bastard, Mamma?" I asked to my mother while she was playing ball with me. She left the ball and rushed to me. She kneeled in front of me to reach my level and cupped my chin "Who told you this word, figlio?" (Son) "Everyone, they all say I am a bastard." "Who dared to upset my brave tiger" I turned on hearing the strongest voice I know "Dad!" I ran to him and he crouched down to hug me. "hmmm...look tigre. Sei la mia tigre? Sì?" (You are my tiger, yes?) "Sì Papà" (Yes Dad) I said smiling. "Next time anyone calls you bastard, you kill him with this" he said giving me gun. "Woah, it's a real gun. Mamma look, è una vera pistola. (It's a real gun) Grazie Papà" (Thank you Dad)

"Why did you give it to him, he is just four years old? He will hurt himself." My Mamma argued with Dad. "Relax Tesoro, he is the son of the future Don, these are the toys he will play with and don't worry he won't hurt himself. I am here, right? I will teach him, tigre giusta?" (right tiger) he said raising his hand for hi-five. "Righto" I said returning his hi-five. He laughed and I did too. "And my son knows I love him the most, tigre giusta?" "Giusto Papà" (Right Dad) I said hugging him.

That was my illusion. An illusion of a four year old boy. I grew up and I understood what a bastard is. Bastards are born with the blood but not the rank or privilege as their legitimate siblings. They may experience a taste of the life but might never benefit.

I am the eldest son of the most powerful Mafia Don. Don Alexander Reviello and that is the biggest curse of my existence.

I grew up hearing this. Everyday. Every fucking day of my life revolved around this one word 'bastard' because the Don didn't marry my mother. Don - the man who has power more than God in my world. Though it is bullshit, he is no God. No one is, everyone in Mafia is owned by Satan. So am I.

He is no less than Satan, and I am his Angel of Death, that feed on fear, pain, submission, blood and my gun its been my partner in it and my favorite toy.

I revolved it in my hand, a smirk came to me thinking that now I have a new toy.

Sage, my property, my toy. She has become my new favorite, my beautiful obedient toy. I own her, I control her and I revel in it.

I am the Shadow that can engulf everyone in it and blew them in smoke. I punish the traitors, kill the enemies and protect the Don.

I am Azriel Rivers and this is my story...