•09•

(NOT EDITED)

Armin gets off first while you toss your left leg over the side so you can slide off on your butt. Armin grabs your sides as you jump off, probably hoping to cushion your fall.

"See? That wasn't so bad, was it?" He smiles cheerfully at you. "We'll keep working on it and then you'll be a professional horse rider."

"I'll think about it," you roll your eyes playfully, surprising yourself.

You've been short with Armin since you've met, but even after this limited time with him, you feel like you're coming out of your shell. In fact, you're ashamed to admit, but he's the reason you're feeling better.

"Alright, I'll ride out here, so it'll just be you in the carriage," Armin walks forward towards the brown wagon.

You nod, trying to create distance between the two of you since you'd rather not be playing nice with the person who's to blame for the reason you're like this in the first place.

As a child you were reasonably outgoing. You made friends easily, but you would pick and choose who you were yourself around. Those people were limited to Bertholdt, Reiner, Annie, and Colt. Everyone else would only see what you wanted them you.

But with Armin, you feel like you can be yourself. He's someone you feel like won't judge you and will accept you as who you are, but you can't do give the things he's done.

Yes, you know that both sides are equally wrong. Marley and this Island have done things that can't be taken back, but Bertholdt was your brother. Someone you loved and he wanted no part in this war. Neither of you did.

"Y/n?" Armin waves his hand in front of your face and you flinch, regaining your composure. "You want to get in now?"

"Yeah," you nod and step up into the carriage.

It's dark inside, the curtains drawn on the windows so you can't see outside. Armin stands in the doorway, his hand holding the door open.

"If you need anything, just tap on the window," he smiles and shuts the door, leaving you a dimly lit box.

You lean your head against the window and start to space out again, remembering a random day from your childhood...

~Flashback~

"Hey, y/n! You want to come with us to the swimming hole after class?" Porco grins, his chubby cheeks red and blushing.

"Uh," you look over at Bertholdt, wanting permission from him since you're staying with his family. "Can we?"

Bertholdt nods and Porco runs off his to join Marcel and Pieck. Bertholdt begins walking again, his long legs creating distance between you quickly.

You jog to catch up, heading to your class for the day. It's the middle of summer, the heat from the sun beating down on you.

"Are you going to come?" You question, looking up at Bertholdt.

"I don't know," he shrugs. "I have to catch up on studying so I don't fall behind."

"I can help!" You say a little too loudly and he looks at you skeptically.

"You go have fun," his lip turns up slightly. "Don't worry about me."

"But—"

"Hurry up and get to class," one of the older cadets shouts and the two of you jog towards the classroom.

You take a seat beside Colt while Bertholdt heads to the front of the classroom next to Reiner. Colt hands you an apple and smiles.

"You forget lunch again?" He asks.