•26•

(NOT EDITED AGAIN.
MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS)

"What happened?" Armin sets the tray of food on Mikasa's bed and then sits down beside you.

"Why'd you give me such a sad book," you close the cover and toss it to the end of the bed.

"Chapter eight?" He smiles softly. "Yeah, I forgot to warn you about that. I guess you probably took it a little harder than I did, given your situation."

"Just a little bit," you wipe off your cheeks and fold your hands in your lap. "How was visiting Annie?"

"It was fine," he looks down at the floor. "I was telling her that you'd be seeing her more often now that you're staying in Trost."

"She say anything back," you give Armin a slight smirk.

"No she's giving me the silent treatment," he jokes.

A small laugh escapes your lips at Armins stupid joke, but it brought you a little joy. His eyes flicker to yours from the floor, his head turned slightly towards you.

"Um," he coughs. "I got you dinner."

He stands up, walking over to the other bed and grabs the tray. You sit up on the bed, crossing your legs. Armin hands you the tray and you examine the contents.

"They had fruit salad and steamed cabbage," Armin points at your bowl of colorful fruit and greens. "Also a baked potato with butter. Is that okay? If not I can go grab something else."

"It's perfect," you stomach growls as you look at the fold and you feel the drool piling up in your mouth. "Did you already eat?"

"I'm not that hungry," he sits down on Mikasa's bed. "You go ahead and eat. Don't mind me."

You take the spoon and pick up some cabbage, bringing it into your mouth and chewing slowly. Armin stands, going over to the shelf and looking at your newly organized books.

"I hope I picked good ones for you," his back is turned to you and you notice that his white button up as blood on the back from earlier.

"Here's your jacket," you pull the green cloth from under your pillow.

"Oh thanks," he turns his head back to look at you. "Forgot about that."

"Thanks for letting me use it," you pick up a scoop of diced apples.

"Sorry it didn't keep you safe," he frowns slightly.

"I'm fine. You're the one who got hurt," you give him a look of sympathy.

"Well I'll heal, you won't..."

"True," you nod. "But doesn't it still hurt?"

"A little."

It goes quiet, you continue eating and Armin reads a few pages of random books on your shelf. You watch his slender fingers flip the pages, and admire how soft his hands look. You remember each time he's held your hand or touched you in some way, each time you were surprised at how gentle and silky they were.

"You should read this one next," he holds up a white book with pretty black lettering. "It's a happy book, nothing sad about it."

"I'll take a look. I'm still struggling with reading still, so it might be a little bit until I finish the book I'm reading now," you look down at your food from embarrassment, not wanting to show
Armin how you still feel inferior about your reading abilities.

It's odd, with everyone else you don't feel bad about not being able to read or feel ashamed to admit it, but when it comes to Armin, you don't want to seem like an idiot.