•36•

It's quite, the sound of the clock becoming more and more deafening as the silence continues to drag on by each second.

"I just wanna talk. Conflict isn't necessary to solve Eldia's problems," Eren's deep voice sounds exhausted and bored as he speaks to us. "Hange and the others are fine. We're just taking them."

"Eren, we're the ones who wanted to talk," Armin lifts his head. "What made you go attack Marley on your own? Did Zeke and Yelena really talk you into joining them?"

Eren pauses... the silence coming back.

"I am free."

Mikasa and Armin let out surprised sounds and you glance over to Gabi, trying to think of a way to get her out of here. It's not like Eren needs either of you here.

" The things I do and choices I make are all decided by my own free will," he states.

"So your actions after meeting Yelena were all you?" Armin questions.

"Yes"

"No, you're being manipulated!" Mikasa glares. "You wouldn't get kids and innocents involved, even if they were the enemies! Plus, I know you care about us more than anyone! Don't you? The reason you saved me in the cabin...The reason you gave me this scarf... is because you're kind—"

"I said keep your hands on the table," Eren's expression darkens and mikasa drops her hand from her scarf and lowers back into her seat. "I spoke with Zeke in Liberio, brother to brother. Zeke knows more about Titans than even Marley does. Armin, aren't you still visiting Annie? Do you think that's your own free will?"

Your attention is grabbed by Erens words as is Armins. His eyes widen and his lips part as he stares at the head of the table.

"Wh-what?" Armin gasps.

"If memories are what shape people, a part of you is Bertholdt now. Within you is an enemy with feelings for another enemy," Eren explains. "Armin... Bertholdt has got into your head. You're the one manipulated by the enemy."

"You're wrong!" You lean forward, your hand still flat on the table and the other holding onto Gabi's.

"Am I?" Eren's eyes flicker to yours. "How are you so sure?"

"I'm sure..." you find confidence in your voice. "He's able to differentiate Bertholdts feelings from his own. Yes, a part of him is Bertholdt, that's inevitable. But he's not controlled by him."

"How do you know?" Eren's eyes narrow.

"I just know," you glare down at the table.

"Maybe you just don't want to accept the fact Armin has feelings for Annie."

"That's not it," you shake your head. "Armin isn't a slave to Bertholdt. Even if he was, Bertholdt never wanted any of this. He just wanted to live. With Armin having his memories, it wouldn't do any damage to anyone or force his hand. So what if he visits Annie? Maybe that's Armin feeling sad that a girl has been trapped inside a crystal for over four years? If you think it's true... about Armin being controlled by Bertholdt, Aren't you a slave to whoever was before you? Like your father?"

"Armin doesn't have feelings for you," Eren's lips curl back with anger. "It's only Bertholdts feelings. That's why he's been so nice to you, ya know. It's because Bertholdt has influenced his opinion. Armin isn't even sure of his own feelings."

"Eren, what—"

"You, too, Mikasa ," Eren's eyes shift to hers. "The Ackermans were intentionally designed to protect Eldias' King. Back then, faced with a life-or-death situation, you heard my order: Fight. In that moment, instincts awoke from within you. By mistake, you thought I was the host you had to protect."