•14•

(Not edited, sorry I was too tired)

You take your time heading back to the cottage, finding a nice log to sit on that's in a small clearing, allowing the moonlight to seep through the trees.

The log is slightly damp as you sit down, the coldness of it, makes its way through the thin cloth of your skirt, but it's not too bothersome and your head is too full of thoughts to worry about being a little damp.

Your intentions were not to upset Armin, but you desperately want to know everything about the Bertholdt that was on the Island of Paradis.

You knew that one day Bertholdt would die because of the thirteen years they're only allowed. But you hoped he would come back and you could spend the rest of his years together. Reiner managed to make it back and Annie is still alive, but you're still missing a part of you.

That part is Bertholdt. The one who saved you from yourself. If his family hadn't taken you in and of Bertholdt never comforted you, who knows where you'd be right now.

It's not long before you feel the exhaustion set in again and you stare up at the moon, able to see the shadow of the sun behind it. It must be close to morning now.

You stand up, your legs feel like pins and needles due to the time spent sitting on the log, but you walk off the tingling sensation.

You're curious if Armin is still at the lake, he seemed to really need some time alone, but you're worried he might get lost into some dark thoughts if he's alone for too long.

You turn around, heading back towards the ledge. It's only a minute or two to get there, so when you arrive you're surprised to find he's now there. He should've passed by you if he headed back to the cottage, but you never saw him.

"Armin?" You place your hand on the rough texture of the tree beside you and peak out from beside it.

You're conflicted as to why you even bother to care this much, but you're thinking it has something to do with the fact that you wouldn't want to be left alone with your thoughts if you were in the same situation. You'd want someone to come save you.

"You there?" You call out again, not seeing him anywhere.

There's no answer and you can't find him, so you start to worry that he had fallen down into the lake. You carefully creep towards the ledge, fearing you're going to experience the ground collapsing beneath you again.

You push the PTSD away and continue forward, carefully allowing your eyes to look down over the cliff and into the dark water, not seeing any sign of Armin, but if he's below the water you wouldn't be able to tell.

He could've just went a different way back, so you're not going to jump to conclusions. Instead, you turn and head towards the cottage to see if he just went home.

~

You enter the house and see that everyone has cleaned up the kitchen for you and Armin and then Connie and Jean are sharing the couch, both too big to be sleeping on it.

Mikasa is on the floor by the fire, sleeping soundly and then Levi is awake and sitting in the arm chair, sipping on some tea.

"Welcome back," he speaks bluntly and unamused. "Thought I'd have to come after you."

"Happy to save you the trouble," you take your shoes off by the door and sigh. "I'm surprised you even let me go in the first place."