•18•

(NOT EDITED)

You thought you'd feel the effects of the cider after your second glass, but apparently your tolerance is a lot higher than you had suspected.

"Did you cheat?" Jean slurs his words as he reaches across the table for your cars.

The three of you are sitting on the rug in the living room, playing your game of cards on the table in front of the fire place.

"No," you shake your head.

"Armin is smart, but he's not winning, so I'm assuming your cheating," Jean narrows his eyes.

"Jean, you've won the last three games," your eyes widen so he will pay attention a little better.

"I did?" He turns to Armin who has been surprisingly quiet the last thirty minutes. He's not able to get drunk, so it's just him.

"You did," Armin sighs and folds his cards onto the table. "I'm out."

"Alright show yours, y/n."

Jean expression turns serious, his eyebrows furrowing as he squints at the cards in your hand. You lay your cards flat on the table , showing off your hand.

"All be damned," Jean smirks. "I won again."

"Jean we saw you take the kings from the deck when you shuffled," Armin let's his head fall into his hands in exhaustion.

"No you're drunk," Jean shakes his head. "Right y/n?"

"Sure," you nod in agreement, obviously just trying to not get into an argument with a drunk person. There's no reasoning with them.

"I think it's time for bed," Jean falls back onto the floor.

"I think you're right," You stand up, stretching your legs out in the process. "Thanks for the game."

"Of course," Jean lifts his hand up and flicks his wrist down. "Goodnight, don't let the bed bugs bite."

You don't say goodnight to Armin, figuring he'd be coming into the room eventually as well. Instead, you quickly change into your pajamas and crawl into bed, the faint floral sent of whatever soap the queen used on her hair.

It's dark outside, the morning only hours away. This means it'll be the start of the two week stay until I'm in the inner walls. You're hoping this will help you decided where to devote your loyalty.

There's also the fact that you still need to figure out who tried to kill you. Obviously your money is on Floch since he's showed nothing bu distaste with you since your very first interaction. He hit you in the head with his gun for goodness sakes.

Your blanket is covering the lower half of your face as you try to get warm, feeling the crisp night air seeping through the unlatched window.

There's also the possibility that it could've been a complete stranger, desperately wanting to prove his loyalty to that Eren guy. No matter who it is, you want to be able to look them in the face and tell them 'better luck next time.'

It's not the first time you've almost been killed...

~Flashback~

"It's just a camping trip," you whine at Mrs.Hoover. "The other kids are going!"

"I've been told that you haven't been participating in any of the physical trainings," she stares down at you. "I think you need to rest so you can get back to it. You used to be at the top of the class, but now you're only passing the classroom portion."