chapter 11

the time was now 9:03 am.

remus and sirius thought it would now be a good idea to get up as the others were downstairs already. they didn't want anything to come across as suspicious but then again walking downstairs together will probably let off some sort of suspicion on things that wouldnt even be true.

remus pulls his hoodie sleeves to cover his hands as he rubs his eyes walking into the kitchen, shortly followed by sirius who was struggling to get down the stairs.

"oh there you a-" lily starts before seeing sirius "wait a damn minute-"

she glances between us before nudging james who was half asleep on the table.

james sits up quickly, hair stuck to one side of his face and only one eye open.

"m- remus hi"

sirius scoffs "morning to you too mate"

sirius laughs and james groans as he lets his head hit the table again. remus laughs and walks over to james rubbing his shoulder gently.

"we just happened to wake up at the same time lils" remus says and lily rolls her eyes as she turns back to the stove where she was cooking eggs.

"boringgggg"

remus chuckles and turns back to james.

"i'll get you some tea to help with the headache" remus says and james nods slowly.

"please"

remus walks over to the counter and turns on the kettle as he leans against the counter.

lily walks over and hugs into his side as he wraps an arm around her. sirius sat down next to james laughing at his misery.

"morning lils"

"i'm making eggs, you want some?" lily mumbles as she looks up at him.

remus pauses and then turns as the kettle goes off. lily looks at him and then sighs.

"rem"

"it's okay lil i'm not hungry" remus replies with a smile.

"rem really you should have some they're really good"

remus shakes his head "i'm oka-" he goes to say before he's interrupted by a phone buzzing on the counter.

lily looks over and so does remus.

"rem it's yours" she says and remus tilts his head.

he walks over and picks up his phone to see who was calling. his eyes widen when he sees the caller and he puts his phone on silent. he then puts it back down on the counter as everyone turns to look.

"okay rem? who was it?" lily asks and remus goes back to making the tea.

"no one lil"

lily tilts her head as he pours the hot water. his hand was clearly shaking. sirius was still watching in his seat seeing he was clearly shaken up. he leans over to the counter and looks at the phone.

the contact was named: DAD

dad? why was he so shaken up by the fact that his dad called?

"are you sure rem?" she says noticing that he was clearly shaking. she looks over to his phone and picks it up.

she takes a look as it says-
missed call from: DAD

"rem it's your dad why didn't you answer?" she says as he puts the kettle down.

"i was just in the middle of something i'll call him back later"

"it's okay i can finish up" she says as she takes the rest of the things to put in the tea.

remus looks at her and then hesitates before walking over to his phone. he picks up and then walks over to the other side of the room. he puts the phone to his ear.

"hello?"

*remus! finally. do you not know how to answer your phone??*

the man's voice was clearly stumbling over words. he was drunk again.

"yeah sorry dad i was in the middle of something"

*well you're here now. where the fuck have you been for the past two weeks huh??*

"i told you i'm away with lily and peter"

remus' voice dropped slightly. they couldn't hear the voice on the other side of the phone but as lily dished up the eggs she looks over confused.

*when did you fucking tell me that? i've needed things.*

"i told you a little before i left dad. you knew"

*i don't think you fucking understand. you haven't been doing what i wanted you to. is it that hard to get the most simple things in from the shops??*

"well i can come home? i can go get some things for you"

peter was now coming down the stairs. he rubbed his eyes and he was the only one who could see remus' face. he noticed it looked concerned and immediately a confused look came to his face.

-you okay?-

he mouths to remus and he nods in return.

*no i don't fucking need you here. i'll get it myself. just be back within the next week. you know what happens if you don't*

the phone the ended on the other side of the phone and remus' eyes widen. he then pauses noticing everyone was still watching.

"oh of course! i can't wait to see you too"

he fakes.

"love you too dad, bye"

he chokes on the last words and then puts the phone back down.

"everything okay?" lily asks as remus turns to face them.

"oh- yeah! he was just wondering when i'm coming back. i'd forgotten to get the shopping in for him this week so the cupboards were empty. he just asked if i could put in a new order" remus laughs nervously and then sits down at the table as peter joins him.

he puts a fake smile on his face. sirius keeps his eyes on remus and can clearly tell that he was faking every word that he had just said but he didn't bring it up. peter knew exactly the same.