chapter 17

"he's home?? what do you mean he's gone home?" lily blurted out.

she was sat in the front of the car with james whilst peter and sirius were sat in the back seats. lily was driving without no breaks, the time being 3, in the hopes to get to remus quickly.

"lily there's a lot you don't know- and you can't be mad at remus about it! it's not his fault i found out and that he didn't want to tell anyone" peter says to her.

lily glances over at peter and then back at the road.

"what do you mean?"

peter looks down at his lap as he feels the other two boys eyes on him.

"he's been lying..." peter pauses "about where he's been getting the scars, about the bruises, about the eating"

peter looks out the window and sirius sighs covering his face.

"what does that mean pete.." lily asks.

"his dad, lily. his dad."

lily pauses at peter's words.

"and he's home now?" she says looking at him.

"i believe so.." peter says with a small nod.

"shit."

———

the room was now cleared from any broken glass, broken pillows, old beer cans or anything else laying around.

remus sinks down against the front door, staring over at all the bags on the floor. he was so tired. he felt so weak. and then his mind took him back to earlier.

sirius and marlene.

that kiss really meant nothing to him huh?
of course it didn't.
move on remus. you didn't deserve that.
but maybe i did...

remus shakes his head trying to get the thoughts out from his mind. he moves to stand up again and slowly and quietly walks down the hall to his bedroom. he quietly opens and closes the door once he's inside and sighs out heavily in relief.

he stumbles over to the window, opening it ever so slightly and pulls out his pack of cigarettes. he puts one in his mouth and lights it, as he looks out onto the street.

it was extremely dark now. the only thing lighting up the night was the flickering street lamps, that were reflecting off of the rain covered street.

remus takes a puff of the cigarette before turning to the window and looking in it. his fingers trace the fresh bruise on his eye and he winced almost immediately pulling away.

remus suddenly feels his heart stop when he hears his dad's bedroom door open. he rushes to put the cigarette out, and quietly shuts the window after. just in time, seeing as seconds later his own door handle was turning.

his dad pushes the door open and glares directly at him.

"what did i tell you about fucking smoking under my roof?" he growls and remus pauses.

"i could fucking smell it as soon as i walked in" he looks at remus' speechless face and begins to yell "speak up boy! you have words for a reason!"

remus clears his throat and nods.

"i'm- i'm sorry i just needed one."

TW- abuse

his father chuckles and begins taking off his belt.

"maybe this'll teach you a lesson."

remus' eyes widen in fear as he sees his father loop the belt, into a whip like shape. he'd been violent before, but he'd never done something this violent.

this was like the punishment his father would always talk about getting in school. he'd always talk about how much he'd hated it but now- it looks like the mind has changed.

TW- ended

———

"how much longer lily?" sirius says. his voice seemed worried and for that, lily felt some sympathy towards him.

"soon- soon. 30 minutes maybe?" she pauses "god this is such a mess"

james scoffs and turns back to look at sirius.

"i wonder why it's such a mess. i wonder why remus is even in this position in the first place" james says annoyed.

truth be told they all cared about remus. james, lily and peter just saw him more as a brother figure compared to how sirius saw him.

"i told you it wasn't even like that!" sirius says, his voice even more annoyed. he narrowed his eyes.

"stop it you tw-"

"then what was it like mate huh?" james says narrowing his eyes back.

"we went out for a coffee mate. she spiked my drink." sirius says folding his arms.

james' face drops as he looks at sirius.

"what-"

"yeah well i thought it was going to be a harmless get together. we haven't seen each other in years and i know i shouldn't have left in the first place-" sirius laughs slightly "but i really had no intention of getting back to her in that way- i just wanted a friendly meet up"

james looks to sirius and rubs his own forehead.

"jesus mate i'm sorry."

"don't be james. you all had the reason to think otherwise, it looked really bad- and- and i know i hurt remus... and now i want nothing more than to tell him i'm so fucking sorry" sirius puts his head in his hands and peter sighs.

"he didn't go back because of you. although that's probably part of it" he says as sirius and james look at him.

"he didn't?"

"well his dad is very controlling and threatening. the call he got from him the other day, i could tell by the look in his eyes something was wrong. his dad probably said something about him having to come back." peter shrugs "although this whole thing with you and that marlene girl probably encouraged it"

sirius sighs out slightly and rubs at his arm nervously.

"i swear if he's hurt." he mumbles and james leans a hand back on sirius' shoulder.

"let's just focus on getting remus far away from him okay?" james smiles at sirius reassuringly and sirius smiles slightly, nodding in agreement.