𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓, 𝐀 𝐁𝐢𝐠 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞

Violetshine stared at the tom, her vision blurring. She could only focus on one thought. Please don't kill me. Please don't kill me. 

When Darktail stepped closer, she flinched and shut her eyes tightly. Tell Twigpaw I love her. She vowed to whoever was listening. "Violetshine?" Darktail asked, concern in his voice. The black and white she-cat opened her eyes. "Please don't hurt me." She whimpered. The massive tomcat lashed his tail. "You think I would hurt you?" He exclaimed. Violetshine's shoulders sagged with relief. "So you're not going to drown me?" 

Darktail stared at her like she had bees in her brain. "Of course not!" 

Violetshine eyed him suspiciously. Why was he suddenly so friendly? She narrowed her amber gaze. "Why did you bring me here then?" 

Suddenly, Darktail's blue eyes flashed shyly. "I just wanted to ask you a question." 

"What is it?"

"Violetshine.." Darktail met her gaze before continuing. "Will you be my mate?" 

What?!

Violetshine widened her golden eyes. Her mind whirled. Twigpaw! I can't let her and Alderheart down! The clans will fall without my help! She stared helplessly at her paws, her heart lurching with fear. She didn't dare meet the tom's gaze, trying to avoid one, horrid thought.

What would Darktail do if I declined?