𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗, 𝐓𝐫𝐞𝐞

Violetshine dipped her head to the tom. "Thank you for saving me."

He shrugged. "I had no choice. I wasn't going to stand around and watch a cat die." He started to pad away.

Violetshine called after him. "Where are you going?" She wanted to thank him properly. If it wasn't for him, she could've been fresh-kill for Darktail.

The cat turned around. "What do you mean? I'm leaving." 

Violetshine padded up to him. "You should stay." She turned to Bramblestar, who was standing behind her. "If you can." 

The brown leader's amber eyes were still glazed with surprise at the force of the attack, but he nodded. "You did save Violetshine." He meowed. 

"If Violetshine weren't here, Darktail never would've attacked." The black and white she-cat heard Jayfeather mutter upsettingly. He and Leafpool settled down next to the medicine den and licked each other's wounds. 

"Sorry, Jayfeather." Violetshine meowed truthfully. She dipped her head to Bramblestar. "I am very sorry. Truly. This is my fault, I know. But please, can I stay? I have nowhere else to go." 

Hesitation flashed in Bramblestar's eyes, and Squirrelflight padded up to him. "Of course she can stay." She meowed, meeting her mate's gaze. She looked at Violetshine, warmth shining in her emerald eyes. "And it's not your fault. Darktail was always an evil cat. I can't believe we didn't suspect this." 

Bramblestar nodded. "Fine. You can stay."

Violetshine sighed with relief and turned back to where the golden tom used to be. "Where did he go?" She asked. Squirrelflight's eyes were full of amusement as she nodded forward. A yellow tail whisked into the bush. "You might want to see him before he leaves you." She purred.

Heat flashed through the young she-cat's pelt. Without saying anything, she turned and chased after the cat.

She saw him turn around and stare at her. "Wait!" She called. 

"What?" He asked, the same amusement twinkling in his eyes. Violetshine looked away. Was she being too clingy?

"Where do you live?" She asked suddenly. The golden tom whisked his tail. "That's a personal question for a cat I just met."

Violetshine watched as he padded up to her. "Okay, then what's your name?"

The golden tom blinked. "Tree."

Violetshine repeated his name. "Tree. Okay. Well then, I'll leave you to it, Tree." When she turned around to head back, he called after her.

"Wait."

Amusement bubbled up in her throat. "Yes?" 

"You're just going to leave?" Tree asked.

Violetshine rolled her eyes playfully. "Now who's being clingy?"

Tree encircled her. "Violetshine, right?"

The black and white she-cat nodded. 

"That's a pretty name."

Heat washed over Violetshine. "Er.. thanks." She meowed. "But I should really be getting back."

Tree blinked at her. "Why? Come with me just for a little bit. It must be boring in that plain old camp. You'll be back soon enough." 

Violetshine hesitated, but then nodded. "Sure." 

Excitement suddenly fizzed through her pelt. 

She liked Tree. But just as a friend, of course.