𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔, 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞

She finally looked back up at the black and white tom. He was staring at her, his gaze unreadable.

She suddenly realized she was shaking.

Before she could open her jaws to speak, an idea misted into her head. If I become Darktail's mate, I can convince him to leave the Clans alone! 

Meeting his gaze evenly, she forced out a purr. "I would be honored, Darktail."

For the first time, she saw a gleam of happiness in his eyes. Purring, he rubbed his muzzle against hers. Violetshine tried not to pull away. She glanced at him awkwardly. "We should get back to camp." 

"But look at the lake."

Violetshine followed his green gaze, looking at the lake for the first time. Orange and red streaked through the sky, reflecting off the water. Her jaws gaped with astonishment. How did I not realize how beautiful the lake was? 

Beside her, Darktail shuffled his paws uneasily. "Do you like it?" He asked. 

"It's beautiful." 

He stared at her for a few moments, then dipped his head, watching the sun set over the horizon. Violetshine shook out her fur. She was getting lost in the moment. "Why don't we head back to camp now?" She mewed. He gave her a look that said, Don't you want to stay here with me like I want to stay here with you? But she ignored it.

They padded back to camp together, Violetshine trying her best to keep her distance from the rogue. When he tried brushing their pelts, she would pad a bit further, and he'd glance at her sharply. 

Violetshine was bathing in the sunshine the next day, about to fall asleep. After she had agreed to be mates with Darktail, he hardly let her go out of camp, because he wanted her to be safe. A hiss sounded behind her ear and she spun around, her pelt prickling. She smoothed out her fur as she stared at the cat in front of her. 

"Er, hello, Sleekwhisker."