𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖, 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐮𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟...

Darktail and Violetshine stared at each other silently, and the cats gathered around them broke into hushed murmurs.

Darktail's blue eyes were piercing into hers, and the emotion in them changed quickly. "You were right about one thing, Violetshine." He meowed slowly, making the black and white she-cat shudder. 

"And what's that?" She retorted, not knowing if she wanted to know the answer.

"That I'm a bloodthirsty cat." He circled his former mate, and Violetshine narrowed her eyes. 

"What are you getting at?"

The black and white tom stopped. "You stopped me from achieving what I wanted to in the first place. You made me soft." 

The Kin behind them exchanged glances.

Darktail thrust his muzzle against hers, and stopped from touching Violetshine's nose half a mouse-tail length away. "I came here to reunite cats for you. Not me. But after you left, I came up with a master plan..."

Violetshine showed her teeth. "You sound evil again."

Darktail smirked. "Was I ever not?" 

The small she-cat tipped her head to the right. 

"Attack!" Darktail yowled as he bowled Violetshine over.

Bramblestar's amber eyes lit with shock as Raven knocked him over. Squirrelflight darted to his side and leaped onto the black she-cat. Leafpool raced over to the medicine den, Jayfeather already crouched at the entrance, a growl rumbling in his throat. Brightheart was guarding the nursery, her tail flicking to and fro. Lilyheart was rolling around on the floor with Roach, while Fernsong and Ivypool drove Sleekwhisker back with blows.

Darktail and Violetshine tumbled out of camp, into the yew. They stood up, finding themselves in the perfect clearing for a battle.

"You know I don't want to hurt you." Violetshine mewed. 

Darktail's eyes narrowed. "Oh really. Well you've already hurt me more than any cat ever has."

"And I'm sorry." Violetshine panted. "But you know we cannot be mates."

A growl formed in Darktail's throat. "You never loved me. You're a coward and a liar." He padded closer to the she-cat. Violetshine crouched. "No. I just did what had to be done." With that, she leaped onto the tomcat, churning his flank with her claws.

"Have you forgotten?" Darktail sneered. "I'm stronger than you!" With a heave, he shook her off of him, and leaped onto her exposed belly, paw lifted to swing. Fear shone in Violetshine's eyes as she struggled out of his grip. Sadness tugged in Darktail's belly. Did he really want to kill her? 

With that one second of hesitation, a golden tom leaped out from the bushes. "Get off of her!" He yowled, barreling Darktail away. Eyes full of amazement, Violetshine scrambled to her paws. She and the mysterious tomcat swung blows at Darktail, whose eyes flashed with frustration.

They chased him back to the camp, and Darktail looked around. ThunderClan was winning the battle. "Kin!" He yowled. "Retreat!"

As he led the cats away, he screeched, "We'll be back!" 

Violetshine turned and stared into the magical green pools of the mysterious cat's eyes.