Chapter 5

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it.
– William James

Jagruthi

"Is she the one who hurt Sahastra?" A classmate of mine asked the girl beside him as I was passing by to reach Kajal and Manju who are in a study room.

My life has been a mess, I don't what to do anymore. I do not wish my greatest enemies this pain.

Why me god? Why me?

What are we auditioning for a soap opera role?

Stop being dramatic and get away from these toxic people.

It's been dramatic, how one day and one fight can change your life?

I was this quite and person with no recognition in my whole college. When people think of Jagruthi you'd hear the girl who sits beside Sahastra previously? Now they would say the girl who betrayed Sahastra.

I'm so annoyed right now, that I just wanted to punch a wall. I'm so dumb and naive, I should be strong and grow up. What did I do that Sahastra to spread false rumors about me? I still remember our fight crisp and clear.

After the whole fiasco at the stadium, Karthik dropped me back at the hostel and left. I stayed alone and read one of Manju's book titled The Color Purple. That book was amazing, now I know where her passion and fire come from.

Manju and Kajal came in at 4, and were shocked to see me. So I explained the whole day and left out Devansh and my breakdown part.

Manju laughed at me and said it serves me right, can you believe her? I could've said no and lived peacefully in my room watching the Great Chocolate Showdown. We talked and they told me about the club and the duties of being its member and about a hottie named Randhir who is the president of the club. Guess what Kajal has a crush on him.

A furious Sahastra stormed into the room blasting our door while we were making fun of Kajal, She looked so angry that her nostrils were flaring with anger.

What happened to her?

"Are you okay Sahu?" I asked walking near her.

"Don't talk to me, You and your Karthik embarrassed me infront of all my friends today." She said slamming her cupboard making me jump back.

"I'm sorry Sahu! Karthik got worried about me and I didn't wanna make a scene so we left." I pleaded her.

"You made a freaking movie Jagruthi, All my friends were giving me pity looks because of you. Deeksha is correct, I shouldn't have been friends with you. You are so pathetic, I thought you were nice and I could be friends with you." She spat her words walking away from me to her bed.

"No asked you to be friends with her." Manju replied to Sahastra siding with me.

"I'm not talking you loner, You should go back to reading your books and mind your own business."Sahastra retorted back making me furious.

"Sahu! you can't say things like that to her. She is our friend." I told her reminding that she can't be rude to people.