Chapter 6

I'm lying to make you feel better. See? Sometimes lying is awesome.
~Michael Schur

Devansh

"Devansh, What are you doing here? I've been looking all over the campus for you." Aarthav whispered making me turn away from my book Restoration Agriculture.

Aarthav is my first friend here. I met him when I was getting ragged on my first day and the greatest coincidence of all is he is my roommate along with Samrat and Charan.

Aarthav is what people call a play boy, but he is not. He just flirts with all the girls, He knows his limits and doesn't cross them. It's just he is a loud mouth and comes across as rude.

"Just catching up on some stuff for class tomorrow and found this book on permaculture which got me hooked." I told him.

I love to learn new things, when ever I am free or bored I come into the library and read and expand my knowledge and English language.

I never studied in English Medium schools, and a small town like ours didn't have a school where we were taught English. But 2 years ago our government made English as a part of the curriculum for the entire state. That was a really hard transition for us, I hated the change and was about to give up completely but our English teacher told me

"You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up."

And those words etched my heart. I didn't give up, I worked hard and got a full scholarship at MIM University.

"You are already the topper of our grade, top cricketer and Mr. Fresher of this year. What more do you need man? " He said settling on the chair beside me making me feel proud of the person I've become.

In our town the main means of life is farming. I always thought I would be a farmer like my father who started farming after retiring from the army but my mother was very persistent about me going to school and I am glad I listened to her.

"We don't have any cricket matches this week. And there is something I have to tell you." He said pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What is it?" I asked looking at his tensed face.

"You know that Sahastra has a crush on you right? She is planning to ask you out tomorrow." Aarthav let it out in one breath.

"I know but I'm not interested in a relationship. That's not what I want in life. I want to build things which will help my village and make farming easier. I already have too much on my plate right now." I told him sternly.

He banged his head with his hand at my words and said.

"I get it, but love and fun are part of life too. I'm not asking you to give up on your dreams. Just give it try. You know the girl she's been through so much already."

"Enjoy man, Live a little. It's not every day one of the prettiest girl in the college asks you out." He said winking at me.

Sahastra was the Ms. Fresh face of the year, everyone says she is the prettiest one but not for me.

"Fine, I will think about it." I said giving up  because I know he won't let me go until I cave in.

"MANJU, Why in the world would you come to a library? Next time when you need your stupid assignment paper get it yourself. I'm lost here and I can't find you anywhere. Where in the fudge are you? And why is this library so big?"