Chapter 33

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.

~Henry David Thoreau

Jagati

I am back where I started almost 4 years ago, all alone in a room with no one talk to except my family, who are treating me like I am the culprit here.

Victim blaming is a really common thing in our world, from really big things like a rape to small things like me jumping in to save my father.

They are not letting me go back to college, My friends think that I got into an accident while coming back and they visited me once when I was in a hospital, except for Dev and Aarthav.

Dev stopped talking to me, he left the hospital after I woke up, blocked my number and has been completely avoiding me. I called him through our landline, my mom's phone and whatnot as soon as he realizes that it's me on the call he turns his phone off.

I called Aarthav to connect us both, but he said that Dev doesn't wanna talk to me.

Can he just yell at me for my mistake and punish me that way? This silent treatment is hurting me the most and I can't share it with my friends either.

You hurt him, imagine the trauma he went through after finding out the truth by himself, We deserve it to be ghosted like this.

I asked my parents if I could tell him but they didn't want me to. It's just not my truth alone, it's theirs too.

Excuses might make you feel good, stop justifying yourself and regret your actions.

I do regret my actions completely,  I hope we can talk it out and clear this between us, I can't stay away from him anymore.It's been 18 days, I miss him, I miss his smile, his warm eyes, his love, his care, his hugs and his kisses.

"It's time for you to walk." Karthik announced coming into the room making me throw a pillow at his face hiding my tears before he sees and makes a fuss.

Karthik has been acting like a pain in my butt ever since, he goes to office at 8 and comes back by 4 to take me to practice walking and entertaining me.

"Are you crying? Does it hurt anywhere? Should we call Abhay Uncle?" He asked me and I shook my head lying to him.

I can bear the physical pain and alleviate them with pain killers but the pain of Dev not talking hurts more than ever.

"Devansh is not talking to me Kar, I tried everything but it's not happening. I miss him and I want him in my life." I said to him not able to hold back my pain.

He sat beside me and hugged me, rubbing my back letting my tears flow but this is not the hug I want.

"Give him some space Janu, he is hurt and time heals everything." He tried to console me.

"How many more days Karthik? I can't live like this anymore, that day when I got hurt I wanted to tell Papa that I want stay alive but ever since I woke up in the hospital I regret thinking that. Everything changed, I feel suffocated again Karthik. Grandma says that i won't go back to college. I was happy there, I had people who cared and loved me. I am gonna lose them all..." I sobbed hysterically clutching on to him while he listened to me and consoled me that's it's gonna be okay.

"Let's go out for some fresh air." He said and helped on to the wheel chair and handed me a glass of water.

Doctors said that I can't put too much pressure on my spine or the wounds by walking and running. He pushed me into the lawn and went back into the house for something while i waited for him to help me walk.