Chapter 20

Great liars are also great magicians.

– Adolf Hitler

Devansh

"Where did you run away like that? We could've won that match with those kids." Raj snickered at me as soon as I reached them after dropping Jagruthi home.

"He missed a ball looking at the new girl today and now he ran away in the middle of the match. " Vignesh supported Raj.

Raj, Vignesh and Me were playing cricket when my Mom and Dad came in with Jagruthi. She looked so beautiful, like a mix between an angel and a goddess. I couldn't take my eyes off her, missed the ball and got out.

I had to run after her when I saw her face with panic. I don't know what's causing her pain, but I wanted to protect her from it.

It hurt like hell, when I saw crying in that room all alone, it made me feel like a loser when I couldn't stop her when she was clutching her stomach and groaning.

Why does her pain cause me pain? Why do I love her so much?

My grandpa was in the military and he used to have war flashbacks like her. I have this feeling that those scars and her fear of crowds and attention, her getting this episodes are related. Also the thing about Jagruthi is she cant look people in the eye and lie.

"What happened? I thought we were playing cricket?" Mani asked them and I shrugged at him.

Raj and Vignesh just glared at me and explained him everything I did.

"That new girl is Janu, He introduced her to me." Mani said to them and they looked at us in shock.

Because I never introduced them, they know that I got a friend home but not that she is a girl, and I'm head over heels for her.

"How do you know her? She looks like those movie actresses." Vignesh said with his eyes wide and happiness.

"She is my friend from college, the one I got home." I told them not wanting to extend the topic about her.

"I will bring her by the spot tonight. Let's go and play one more match." I said and dragged them back to the cricket ground.

I don't like talking about her. I want to hide her from the world and keep her to myself. I don't know how I will do when I introduce them tonight.

"Don't you have a girlfriend already? I'm gonna take a swing at her tonight. May be she could be my beautiful princess." Raj asked me grinning through the last part making me furious, my hand immersed formed into fists at his words.

"In your dreams Raj, she is way out of our league. Her bag costs more than your house." Mani said before I could tell her that she if off limits or hurt him.

"Since when do you know about bags? " Vignesh started teasing Mani. They both started hitting each other like kids.

After hours of vigorous playing, we were all tired and hungry. I was too tired to walk so I asked Mani to drop me home on his way.

We reached the house and I opened the gate and got greeted by Laya with a flower crown on her head.