Chapter 47

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.

– A. A. Milne

Devansh

"Where is Janu?" I asked my mom and dad who are in the living room watching news about the upcoming election.

It's time for elections again, and Mr. Dhanraj is campaigning all over the state. I hope he wins again, because I don't think we will get a better leader who's dedicated to the people more than him.

"She is working from this afternoon. You guys are made for each other, always work and no fun." My mom took the chance to show her love and affection again.

"She had an important quarterly meeting today and was really stressed Sudha. She is doing so much at such an young age.." My dad backed up Janu but not me.

"Hey! I was working and I am doing great things too. When will you be proud of me?" I huffed at him in annoyance.

"When you stop worrying your mother." He quickly answered.

"That's never gonna happen in this life. Mothers always worry for their kids and I know that you are proud of me, because I see that you still wear that watch I gave you with my first income and I see you smiling at it too." I countered back and he was shocked.

He mumbled something under lines of Janu is rubbing off on him and now he is making fun of me, I should be strict with her.

My father is not always expressive when it comes to me, and I always felt that he was not satisfied with me as a son but my mom and Janu made me realize how much he loves me and how proud he is of me.

"Keep telling yourself that, go and call Janu for dinner. You won't be eating anything until she does." He pushed me away before I could break his hard shell.

My mom stood there smiling at us, and I walked to the garage remembering the first fun interaction between me and my dad.

As I opened the door I found her staring into the desktop, with her reading glasses on, scrunching her eyebrows and nose, chewing the life out of her lips in her white shirt and a blue blazer on top.

During our college times she never studied with passion, that was more of responsibility to pass all the courses than interest for her, but now she changed a lot.

Maybe us breaking apart was a good thing for her because if we were together she would've never discovered this business passion of hers. She always has a philanthropic idea hidden in her business deals. I am actually so proud of her work and the amazing ideas she has.

"You know that I can feel you staring at me right?" She said with her eyes still on the computer.

I smiled at her silly remark, and as I reached her she looked at me with a twinkle in her tired eyes and gave me a smile that has the power to make my heart skip a beat.

"What can I say, I am  proud of my girlfriend and I can stare at her how much ever I want." I bent down, hugged her from the side and placed a peck on her cheek while she smiled at me.

"Let's go eat dinner. Everyone is waiting." I said looking at her screen filled with spread sheets, presentations and documents.

"I have so much work to do Dev, that stupid Nelson beat me this quarter. I have to do something to wipe off that arrogant smirk on his face." She complained in her cute little baby tone as I leaned on her desk and started playing with her fingers.