3 The Essentials...

Leorio was determined to drive as carefully as he could with the babies on board. Before they had gotten in the car, Leorio had turned the AC on as cold as it could go to get rid of the car heat. Kurapika had gingerly situated himself in the backseat, setting Gon and Killua on their backs.

"Are you sure they'll be alright like that?" Leorio asked, concerned for the lack of seatbelts for the babies.

"Yes," Kurapika gently rubbed the stomach of Killua. "I'll watch them as you drive." He offered a smile at Leorio, who returned the gesture with something more of a grimace.

'Please don't let us get pulled over.'

The traffic was backed up because of the festival's activity, and Kurapika found it a miracle that the babies hadn't woken up with all the honking. He observed the small rise and fall of their chests and angelic faces. Gon slept hard, mouth open and drooling, while Killua slept hard as well, but had a little frown on his face.

"Almost there, Kurapika." Leorio said as he took an off ramp that was clearer.

"Leorio."

"Is something wrong?"

"No, everything is fine." The kutra made eye contact with Leorio through the rear view mirror. "Do you know how to take care of infants?"

The doctor tapped his fingers against the steering wheel. "To be honest, I'm in the dark about babies," he sighed, his eyes flicking back to the road. "But if anything happens physically like a grown up to them, I promise I'll know just what to do."

Kurapika nodded. "I understand."

A screech sounded to their left as a race car tore past them, its red paint catching the sunlight, temporarily blinding the blonde.

"Hey!" Leorio yelled. "I've got infants-"

"Leorio." Kurapika's warning hiss cut him off. "Don't yell or they'll wake up." he whispered loudly.

Leorio stifled a sharp retort. "That bastard should watch how fast he's going on the road." He seethed under his breath, grinding his teeth.

"There's nothing we can do about him right now." Kurapika tried to think of something that would take his hotheaded friend's mind away from the bad driver. Before he could speak, Leorio spoke up again.

"I'm sorry." The back of his neck was red. "I just can't live with myself if you guys got hurt." He kept his eyes in the road. Silence ensued for for a long moment.

The blonde felt a pang of sympathy for him. "Thank you for your concern for us. It must be a lot of pressure driving all of us to your home."

Leorio chuckled, his shoulders relaxing. "I just want to protect the boys since they can't defend themselves anymore."

"As do I." Kurapika watched the babies sleep peacefully. "The food must have really made them sleepy."

"Yeah."

XXX

"I had no idea your apartment was so large." The blonde held a groggy Gon in his arms at the threshold of the door.

Leorio smiled, looking back at his smaller companion. "I like to save my money. Big house, fancy car."

"A work in progress I see."

To this the brunette huffed and turned away, an observant Killua peering around just above his shoulder.

Leorio's apartment was fairly clean, with a white couch in the middle of his living room that seemed inviting to the slightly fatigued kurta. In front of the couch was a small coffee table and a television with a wide screen. Off to the right was a desk with a closed computer, books, a long silver lamp, and papers scattered all over.