22 My Bad Habits Lead To You

As the week came to an end, Kurapika was completely mobile all on his own. Despite Leorio's pleas to be gentle with his body, the blonde had begun exercising again throughout the day. About five miles away was a village Alluka had shown them. The people in it were very friendly and giving. Alluka named it the cat village because so many cats roamed the streets. They were friendly and greeted the newcomers warmly.

Kurapika opened the door to a small library at the corner of a street. A black cat that was sun bathing lazily looked his way before purring again. The little bell rang as the door closed again.

"Hello?" His voice rang out through the dust filled air.

No answer.

The blonde hummed under his breath and began searching. He was looking for books that would help him remember. Books to improve memory, to dream more frequently, and fantasy books of characters who had lost their memories by hitting their head or by a spell or something of that sort. Anything was helpful to try to get himself to remember. He held a red laced book in hands, prepared to return it. This was a mystery book about finding a lost family member.

"Ah, young Kurapika!" A small woman greeted him. As Leorio once put it, she was living proof dinosaurs once roamed the earth. She was incredibly wrinkly but had a spectacular smile, not to mention she was very fond of the blonde, yet she kept mistaking him as a-

"How can I help you today, young lady?"

He let it slide with her. His gut told him he might want to stay on her good side. "I was here to return the book I borrowed a couple days ago."

Her beady purple eyes brightened and her wrinkles increased. "Nothing makes me happier than seeing youngsters so eager to read." She took the book from him and inspected the cover. "Dear," she questioned, pushing up her large spectacles. "Not that I'm trying to pry, but is there something on your mind lately?"

"I'm not sure I understand your question, miss." He asked, confused.

"I mean," She cleared her throat. "You've been borrowing many books with themes that relate to memory." She held her finger up to shush the blonde. "Don't say that it's none of my business because it is. I am not only responsible for these books but also those who read them. You don't have to answer my first question, but just know I don't get a lot of visitors in the summer, and I'm always open to talk if anything is on your mind."

After a moment's hesitation, because this situation had been eating away at him all this time, he began to talk, choosing his words carefully. "I've suffered some memory loss from an accident not long ago, and it must have been very grave, because my friend won't tell me, and he knows."

"Ah, that handsome young man of yours?"

"That is correct."

"Why won't he tell you? Do you know why?"

"I'm afraid not." The blonde clutched the strap of his bag. "Whenever I ask about it, he avoids the questions and acts guilty." He sighed. "I just wish he would tell me."

"Then confront him, dear. Sounds to me like he's trying to spare you. Whatever happened to you it's not your fault. If I didn't know any better, I think he feels guilty."

"Guilty?" He echoed.

"If he was there when it happened and it was out of his control to help you, he may not want to tell you the situation, because he loves you and doesn't want you to relive those things you have forgotten." The woman said gently. "This may be the reason why he's reluctant to tell you."

"...He doesn't love me." Kurapika gripped the strap tightly. "If he loved me he would surely tell me everything!" He spat. "I deserve to know my lost memories, I already lost one family, I should have the right to keep my memories!" His voice echoed through the lonely library, his eyes scarlet. He stood straight again, carding a hand through his hair. "I apologize, I didn't mean to raise my voice."