Chapter 1 // No Place Like Home

It was a typical Sunday; sleeping in for the last time until the week started, eating breakfast, and finishing up any last minute homework - not that I really had any.

Most people spend their weekends hanging out with friends, going to parties, or even going on dates - well, that's what it seemed like at least - but I've always considered myself different from other high schoolers my age.

Instead of spending time with friends, I spent time writing songs and singing. Instead of going to parties, I found myself blasting music while lip syncing and dancing awfully, alone in my room. Instead of dating, I daydreamed about the fictional guys in the books I read that will never be real.

I've been told that I spend too much time in my own world, never living up to what a normal teenage girl is supposed to be and do. I guess it's true that I spend a lot of time fantasizing about what could be and doing things my own way, but really I'm just trying to get through life like everyone else.

"Harper Greene, stop reading that book and get your butt down here!"

I blinked, looking up from my book as my mom called me for the third time.

"Oh yeah! Sorry, I forgot!"

I tossed my book down on my bed next to my sprawled out pajamas, racing down the stairs.

"Aye, kiddo!"

"Hey, Dad!" I replied, sliding into my usual seat at the dining room table.

"Finally! I've been waiting forever. I'm a growing girl, you know! I got to eat!" my little sister, Avery, exclaimed suddenly.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you were sneaking pieces before Mom even called me down, you little squirt," I joked, stealing a piece of my little sister's chicken.

"Hey! Didn't I just tell you I was growing?! I need all the food I can get!"

"Calm down, Avery. You're not going to stop growing by not eating one more piece of chicken for dinner. And Harper, don't steal your sister's food," Mom scolded.

Avery pouted, crossing her arms like a child.

"If it makes you feel better, I can always cough it back up for you. No promises on how it will look or taste though, okay?" I said, sarcastically, adding a wink to truly sell the act.

The corners of her mouth twitched upwards until she was now full-on smiling.

"No thanks,'' she mumbled out after a few seconds, staring at her plate of food.

If you haven't guessed by now, this is my loving, sarcastic, weird family - consisting of my mom, dad, and my little sister, Avery.

It's kind of funny since we all look pretty similar; blonde, somewhat wavy hair, and blue eyes. The only difference being my mom and I have glasses, and of course our little Avery as a whole.

She has brown hair that's fairly straight with green eyes. I like to joke that she's adopted, which is always followed by mom rebuking, insisting that she gets it from our grandma.

Of course I would never actually know since our grandma died before I was old enough to remember her - but I would still sometimes like to think that she really is adopted.

Kidding...kind of - I love her...

Anyway, we all tend to get along in general and have Mom to keep us in check if we don't.

"You guys make eating supper a chore," Mom groaned, shaking her head.

"Yet you love us anyway," Dad replied, touching his heart with his palm and putting on his best teary-eyed face.

We all laughed as Mom reached over to peck him on the lips, a smile evident on her face.