Chapter 24 // The Notepad

Hey everyone! I hope you had a great holiday!!
•~~~~~~•

"Hey, Harp, want to come downstairs and watch a movie with us?" my dad asked, holding the door slightly ajar as he peeked through.

I glanced at him before turning back to my notepad, containing the few lyrics and melodies that I had come up with in these last couple hours.

"Yeah, sure," I finally decided, putting my stuff down and reaching out to close the notebook.

As I turned the pages to reach the front cover, I noticed the marker streaks begin to appear on the pages.

That's when I realized that I ended up writing this all in the same notepad that I use to talk to Logan through the window.

A smile formed on my face as I slowly flipped through the ink stained pages, glancing at parts of our conversations.

"What are you smiling about?" my dad asked suddenly, causing me to jump as I remembered he was still there, waiting for me to come downstairs.

"Uh...nothing important...you can just go on without me, I'll be there," I stuttered out, feeling like I was just caught stealing the last cookie from the cookie jar.

"...Okay, kiddo," he finally said after a long pause, heading down the stairs.

I let out a small sigh once he had left, finally flipping to the front cover of the notepad.

As I got up from my white, cushioned desk chair, I couldn't help but glance behind me at the window, something I found myself doing often.

Logan was laying there on his own side of the glass, throwing his football up in the air and catching it again before noticing me.

He gave me a wave and a glowing smile that made my stomach do a flip as I waved back.

He went back to throwing the football, and I made my way out of my room and down the stairs.

Our small interaction still lingered in my mind as I reached the family room.

"Can we watch Frozen?" I heard Avery ask as I sunk into the couch facing the TV.

"Or Frozen 2?!" she quickly added after gasping.

"Or not?!" I imitated, giving her a wide eyed look.

"Hey! Frozen is good!" Avery mumbled, pouting.

"Okay, I'll admit Frozen 2 was pretty decent, but Frozen? Sorry, but no dice Aves," I commented smoothly, using her nickname.

"Fine! I didn't want to watch Frozen anyway," she finished, turning the other way.

Dad smothered a laugh, as mom handed Avery the CD of Frozen 2, sending me and dad a disciplining glare.

-----

The loud, obnoxious beeping of my alarm woke me up, practically ringing in my ear.

I felt like a character from The Walking Dead as I trudged my way through my morning routine, slipping my gold band ring on my right ring finger like usual.

I then changed out of my dark blue checkered pants and 'Junior Jewels' t-shirt, signed by more people than I even knew at the time.

Most of them were just random people that Madison knew, as well as a few others that were a mystery to both of us, despite being in the same school for three years.

I finally made it out the door after taking some time to eat breakfast, complain about school and the dreaded early hours that came with it to Avery, and then say goodbye.

I took off my backpack as I walked, grabbing a variety of books, unsure what I was going to be in the mood to read, before reaching the bus stop.

Tossing my backpack on the ground beside me, I decided on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, immediately becoming engaged as I found my spot once again, rereading the book for about the millionth time since I got it.

I had just reached the part near the start of the book where Elizabeth Bennett met Mr. Darcy for the first time at the ball.

I was almost ready to turn the page when I saw a shadow cast onto my book, drawing closer.

I looked up to see Logan walking up to the bench wearing his typical white tee and jeans, the t-shirt having a line of red along the bottom of the sleeves and collar.

"Hi," I greeted, closing my book.

"Hey."