Chapter 34 // Can't Give Up

Hey! Hope you are all having a great day!
I'm thinking about doing another mass edit of You Belong With Me sometime, maybe in the summer when I have a bit more time (since I'm finished writing YBWM and I'm just posting weekly chapters that I edit throughout the week while I work on my next book).
I feel as though with a bit more time to rework this story that it will be better and more up to date to what I've all been learning recently.
Anyways, sorry for rambling. Enjoy!
•~~~~~~•

"What do you mean you don't know how to be with Madison anymore? I thought you liked her?" I asked in confusion, unable to fathom the words he just spoke.

"I do...I think. It's just difficult to be around her sometimes," he began, slowly elaborating. "She does things every now and then that I just don't agree with. Like how she asked you if you had a condition a little bit ago...I don't understand why she said that quite frankly."

He shook his head, looking up at me as he finished his sentence.

"I'm really sorry about that by the way."

"You have nothing to apologize for," I simply said, not sure what else to say at the moment.

"It just always seems like we have to do everything when and how she wants it. I'm trying to roll with it and be a good boyfriend, but it seems to be more and more difficult as time goes on."

I hesitated before speaking next, unsure if this was the right thing to say.

"Why don't you just break up then?"

I wanted to be supportive, but it was a genuine question - despite the fact that I liked him.

He let out a long sigh, running his hands through his hair.

"My mom gave up on my dad. But he turned out to be amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better father."

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know that," I whispered, placing my hand on his arm in hopes to offer some form of comfort.

"No need to say sorry, it happened when I was little. But I can't give up just because things are a little difficult between Madison and I."

"-because she could turn out great, like your dad," I concluded.

He just nodded, looking at his hands that sat face up on his lap.

"It's fine...I'm fine, really. I just need to keep on trying."

I let out a sigh, knowing he wasn't telling the whole truth, but deciding to leave it anyway.

A couple of seconds went by in silence, a number of things to say swarming my mind.

"Do you still want to know why I left your table at lunch?"

Logan slowly looked over at me at my sudden question, nodding.

I wasn't going to tell him the reason before, but if we're on the topic of Madison, and he seems to somewhat agree with me on how she isn't always the greatest - to put it lightly - it couldn't hurt to tell him.

"It was because of Madison."

I noticed his eyes widened a fraction, before his brows set back into that furrowed position.

"I tried to stay there because I really did want to sit with you, but...she - I just needed a break. I hope you can understand that," I reasoned, looking back up at him.

"Do you want me to talk to her-" he began.

"No, no, that's not what my intentions were for telling you this," I interrupted, not even pondering the offer. "I just want you to know that you're not the reason I switched tables."

We held eye contact for a few more seconds, watching his eyes soften as he whispered an 'okay', before turning his head to look out my window.

"Hey, Logan...out of all the places you could have gone, why did you come here? I mean, you literally live right next door," I finally asked, the question previously sitting at the back of my mind ever since I saw him standing below my window.

He turned back to me, smiling slightly.

"I don't know. I didn't feel like going home, but I needed someone to talk to. Plus you're my best friend, so I just ended up driving here," he finished with a shrug.

I was able to put on a smile for him, happy that we had become so close. Yet I couldn't help but feel disappointed, agonizingly aware of the distance between us compared to how close we could yet be.

"Well, I'm glad you did."

He let out a small laugh.

"Me too."