Chapter 17 // Madison Haze

"Well, I'll see you later, Harper," Logan said, adding that same bright grin that I was beginning to get more and more used to.

"Yeah, bye," I replied, smiling back as I turned to leave.

"Oh! Harper!" he quickly called, causing me to stop and turn around once again.

"If you ever want to come over again or whatever, you can just use the key under the rock in the back," he finished, casually.

I was taken back at the fact that he was literally granting me permission to get the key to his back door and just welcome myself inside as if it were my own house.

With eyes still wide, and being confused as ever, I thanked him awkwardly, hesitation lacing my voice.

He was being so open. Were we at that kind of level of friendship?

I knew we were growing closer, but I didn't know how close and wasn't sure - even after going to his house and unintentionally meeting his dad - if this was going to last.

That was the topic on my mind for the rest of the evening, lingering as I walked back to my house, through the front door, and absentmindedly entered my room.

"You were at that neighbour boy's house for a while there..." I suddenly heard my dad speak, causing me to jump as I quickly turned around.

"Well, hello to you too," I muttered, getting over my surprise.

"Don't avoid the question, missy," my dad retorted, not joking, but not stern either.

There really wasn't any question there, but by saying 'you were at that neighbour boy's house for a while there', he's really saying 'what were you all doing at that boy's house that took you five hours?'.

He never was great at serious conversations, so over the years I've learned how to decipher his words.

Suddenly my mom came into my room, followed by a tired-looking Avery.

"Are you pestering her, Issac? I told you to leave her and that boy alone, it's not our business right now," she said sternly.

Her size always betrayed her attitude, especially now as she scolded my dad who was in fact much taller than her.

She suddenly paused, turning to me.

"Unless you're dating...then it's our business," she asked me without really asking a question, something I suddenly realized both my parents were good at.

"No, no, we're not!" I rushed out, feeling my face heat up at the thought.

"Oh, thank the heavens!" my dad breathed out, clutching his chest.

My mom just rolled her eyes, letting a small smile slip as she led a half asleep Avery to her own room for the night.

As much as I wouldn't mind the idea, I doubt that Logan would feel the same. I'm still surprised we're even friends.

If anything, he probably has a girlfriend already. I mean, it's not like it would really take him long to adjust before he gets into something like that considering he's so used to moving at this point.

I sighed out loud at the thought.

I began mentally going through the list of girls he could possibly be dating or could date in the future based on their 'status' and looks in the school.

"Okay, well now that that's all cleared up...I'm heading to bed early tonight. Night Harper!" my dad said, his calm, playful self back.

I smiled at him, saying a goodnight as he left the room, when it hit me.

Madison Haze.

If he was dating anyone right now, it would be Madison Haze.