Chapter 20 // Interrogation

Time seemed to go by slowly as I shuffled my way to each class, lost in thought while that nauseous feeling crept up on me in waves.

I just wanted to go home, really, but my legs carried me to the cafeteria nonetheless as I dreaded the outcome of today's lunch period.

Am I supposed to sit with Madison again today?

But if I don't, would I even get to eat lunch with Logan?

What does it matter, anyway. He has a girlfriend...

But I'm his friend, it shouldn't matter if Madison's there or not. Friends sit with each other at lunch...right?

My brain went back and forth between the two tables, flooding my mind with endless pros and cons.

After a bit more time of debate I became fed up with the uncertainty.

I hastily made up my mind and fought to stick with that decision as I made a beeline, straight for Madison's table, running on pure adrenaline.

As I came closer, I looked around the table, hoping to find the blonde-headed boy that lived in my mind rent free, but came up with nothing.

Instead, my eyes settled on a brown-haired girl, already staring at me and looking as annoyed as ever.

"Why don't you come sit down, Harper?" Madison finally said.

I almost flinched at her cold, sharp tone.

Just like that all the adrenaline and confidence I once had vanished, once again by the hands of Madison Haze.

"Actually, I think I'll just go sit at my usual table instead. Thanks though-" I tried declining politely.

"No. I think you should stay. I would love to have a little chat with you," she cut in, staring me straight in the eye.

I felt trapped.

There was no other word to describe the daunting feeling she was casting upon me.

It was the very same feeling I started to get later on in our friendship, right before she abandoned me completely.

Cutting me off, telling me what I should and shouldn't do, getting upset when something good happened to me and not her.

I couldn't remember anymore if she had only started acting like this near the end of our friendship, or if she was always like this and I just never saw it.

I glanced all around the cafeteria, making sure not to miss even an inch in hopes of Logan coming to my rescue, but inevitably couldn't find him.

"Logan will be back soon and he'll be sitting with us. So unless you want to sit all alone like a loser in a corner, I suggest you sit down while you wait," she insisted.

I hesitantly put my backpack down, claiming a spot at the tense-filled table.

"So, how do you know my boyfriend?" Madison asked accusingly.

I was thrown off guard with her sudden question, and for some reason struggled with an answer.

"We uh...well, I guess we're neigbours...and then just became friends after meeting each other," I said slowly, thinking about how Logan and I actually met - eyes locked as he caught me gawking across the lawn.

"You guess?" Madison picked out, looking at me funny.

I lifted my gaze back up to hers at the confrontation.

"Yeah..."

My response came out as a whisper, displaying more of my obvious nerves.

She just rolled her eyes, coming back to the topic at hand.

"Well, now that he's my boyfriend, I don't think he can be friends with you," she practically growled.

I raised an eyebrow, trying not to waver, despite how timid my last few comments had come out.

"Why not?" I finally asked, sucking in a breath as I braced myself for her answer.

"Because you clearly have a thing for him," she finished, her eyes glaring daggers.