Chapter 18 // Just Friends

Obviously I didn't know for sure if Madison Haze was really the one he was dating, or if he was even dating at all.

Yet my over-thinking self chose that exact topic to focus on as I stared outside the window of the moving, rusty-yellow bus.

"Hey..." Logan said suddenly, causing me to turn my head at the sound.

I knew Logan was there considering we got on the bus together, but we hadn't said much to one another other than a greeting, which was mostly my fault.

I just couldn't stop my mind from drifting away to the thought of Madison and him together and was way too nervous to actually bring it up.

In reality, it's none of my business anyway. He can date whoever he wants to and I'm supposed to be okay with it, because we're friends - just friends - and I just know that I'm going to lose him if I say anything about it.

"Are you okay? You look pretty lost in thought," he noted, concern lacing his voice and features.

I smiled at him, hoping to clear any suspicion. What else was I supposed to do?

"Yeah...just got something on my mind, but it's all good."

I waved it off, turning back towards the window, not caring for all the attention that was directed solely on me.

I felt his stare from beside me, yet he remained silent.

I really didn't think I had convinced him, but if he wasn't going to point that out, neither was I.

We made it to the bus loop of the school soon after, getting off the bus, and walking the halls together like always.

Our arms lazily bumped together at our close proximity, and that was all it took for me to sidestep further away, leaving enough space between us until I was sure there was no way for our arms to even brush.

"So...how's math going?" Logan asked, looking at me from the corner of his eye.

"Uh...good, I guess. I don't know...it's math," I said, awkwardly.

Why couldn't I focus on our conversation?

"How's..." I started, before completely forgetting what class he had.

My mind drew a complete blank, causing me to panic a little, hoping he didn't think bad of me now that he could remember my schedule, yet I couldn't remember his unlike usual.

"English," he finished for me, looking at me as if he was calculating my every move.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry..." I apologized hesitantly.

I really screwed up, didn't I...

Suddenly, I was gently grabbed by the arm and pushed backwards towards the lockers on the side of the hallway.

I looked up into Logan's baby blue eyes, confused, watching him stare back into mine intently.

"Harper, what's going on?" he finally asked, softly, worry clouding his intense gaze.

"What...do you mean?"

I was still a little shocked, but starting to warm in the position we were in.

"What's on your mind? There's something bothering you...and if you don't want to tell me, that's fine. But I think you should tell someone if it's affecting you this much."

I stared at him for a couple seconds, going through a mental debate with myself.

To tell him, or not to tell him was the real question at hand - a question that I didn't want to answer.

"I-" I began, before getting interrupted by someone else.

"Hey, Logan!" greeted a cheerful voice from beside me.

We both turned our heads to the side, being met with the overly beaming face of the one and only Madison Haze.