Chapter 38 // Our Future

After a bit of time in Logan's room, we decided to go on a walk together, continuing our conversation outside.

"So, what do you plan on doing when we're out of high school?" I asked, stepping over a stick that laid on the sidewalk.

"Well, I'm not entirely sure on the college I want to go to, but I want to pursue football. So I guess that's the deciding factor for whichever one I decide to go to. It would be really cool to be recognized by some college scouts and be a part of something bigger, you know?" he thought out loud.

I smiled as I enjoyed listening to him talk about his ideal future.

"-and you?" he asked, turning to me.

"Anything involving music - whether that's a music teacher, songwriter, or even an artist someday. So I guess that's my deciding factor for secondary education," I finished, looking back at him with a smile.

"I would love to hear you sing sometime - or even one of your songs."

I felt my face heat up at the thought as I let out a small laugh in embarrassment.

"Maybe one day..."

"Well, I can't wait," he said warmly, looking into my eyes. "Hey! You should come see me play football!"

"I already will be. I'm in the school band, so I'll be on the bleachers of your final game on Wednesday," I informed with a chuckle.

"Really?! I didn't know the band was going to be playing at the game," he commented.

"Yup..." I started before my mind began drifting. "It's crazy how fast this year has gone."

"Yeah. Friday's our last day, right?"

I nodded my head, thinking back to when Logan first moved here in February.

I couldn't believe he had only been here for a little less than four months. It felt like I'd known him for years.

We walked in comfortable silence as we made our way back to his place. This felt right, like this is how it should be - him and I.

I was very aware of how our arms brushed lightly every now and then, as if taunting me.

Was it always going to be this way? Was he always going to be with a girl that doesn't treat him right? Was I always going to be waiting for him to realize my feelings for him as I struggle to remind myself that he has a girlfriend?

The conflict in my head brought a slight frown to my face as I thought more about him and I.

I couldn't help but feel some distance between us at the thought of this never changing. I couldn't let that happen.

I needed to tell him one day, to at least get that closure if this was something that wasn't ever going to happen.

But I couldn't tell him now. I don't know how I'll ever be able to.

We had eventually reached our houses, climbing the driveway.

"Well, I have to get back to my place for supper," I started as I stopped walking to face him.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then," he responded, sending me a smile.

I nodded, my own lips tugging up at the sight, before I made my way over to my house, cutting through the lawn.

As I reached the front door, I paused, looking back over my shoulder to get one last look. To my surprise he was still standing there, watching me with a smile.

I felt myself become shy at his gaze, turning my attention back to the door as I fought to focus on what I was doing, and failing miserably.

This boy was going to be the death of me.