Chapter 15 // I Knew You Were Trouble

Instead of heading inside Logan's house through the front door like I had expected, he led me around the house to the back.

The backyard was fairly empty, with freshly mowed grass and a small wooden deck.

I had just finished looking around when I noticed he was crouched next to the back door.

Confused at first about what he was doing, I inched closer until I realized he was getting out a small silver key from underneath a nearby rock, causing me to turn quickly on my heel.

Logan flashed me a weird look at my sudden action, stopping momentarily in confusion.

"What are you doing?" he asked genuinely.

"What do you mean? You're unlocking the door right? Shouldn't I like, not look, otherwise I'll know where your key is?" I explained, still avoiding his gaze.

Technically I already saw where the key was, but I felt bad since I knew I probably shouldn't have, so I didn't mention that tiny detail.

He looked to the side for a second, before shrugging, not really seeming to care.

"I don't know. It doesn't bother me. It's not like you're some dangerous person or robber, or something," he commented absentmindedly, before slowly turning back around to face me.

"Unless..." he hesitated, pretending to be frightened.

"Oh, get out of here!" I said, hitting him lightly on the head.

"Ow! Wow, now you're kicking me out of my own house and hitting me?! I knew you were trouble as soon as I saw you creepily staring at me from across the lawn!" he exclaimed, raising his voice while pointing a finger at me.

"Shhh! People will hear you!" I said while laughing, making a move to cover his mouth.

"You don't want people hearing me?! Oh, no. I got to get inside! Stranger danger!" he teased, starting to laugh, himself.

I just pushed him towards the door, before looking around, hoping nobody heard.

Finally he got the door unlocked and I got in after him as quickly as I could, avoiding anyone who might have listened in.

Closing the door cautiously, I turned around to meet the gaze of a smirking Logan.

"What do you want now? Isn't ruining my reputation enough for you?" I joked sarcastically, crossing my arms.

"I can't believe you're actually concerned about people hearing," he said, his grin becoming wider.

"Of course I'm concerned about people hearing! I don't want anybody to think I'm some sort of killer!" I defended.

He let out a laugh under his breath before trailing his eyes down my figure.

"Trust me, nobody's going to think anything of the sort."

I felt my face heat as I froze in place from his words and gaze alone.

By the time his last words had fully registered, he was already at the bottom of the stairs that sat in the corner of his living room, leading to the second floor.

Shaking off my wandering thoughts, I jogged over to him as he climbed the stairs, glancing back at me with that same grin.

I couldn't help myself from scanning his house as I followed him, straining my neck to see areas that were blocked from my vision, before reaching the top.

I walked down a long narrow hallway that split off into four rooms, just like my house did, and was immediately amazed at how similar our houses were built.

The other family that lived here never really talked to us much, so naturally we never got together and I never saw their house. So it was actually pretty interesting to take a look around.

When I looked back to where Logan once was, I realized I should have been paying more attention, because he disappeared on me.

"Logan?" I whispered, unsure of who was all home at the moment.

There were a couple doors open, so I tried to casually look into them, straining my neck as I slowly walked by, attempting to look like I knew where I was going and belonged here.

Suddenly I heard a spastic laugh from down the hall.

I whipped my head around to find a laughing Logan, hunched over while holding the door frame.

"W-what are you doing?" he laughed out.

I was still frozen in my awkward pose, head sideways and legs spread apart, when I finally relaxed.

"You left me!" I shouted in a whisper.

"Sorry!" he replied, beginning to control his laughter. "You know, you don't have to whisper. No one's home."

"Well," I breathed out, "you could have told me that, you big buffoon!"

"I just did, you big clown!" he imitated, lifting his hands up as well.

I walked over to the doorway, following him inside.

"Not going to lie, 'clown' is a pretty bad come back," I pointed out, shaking my head. "It just doesn't have the same ring to it as 'buffoon' does."

He faked a glare at me as he sat down on his floor.

"Well, you know what does have a good ring to it?" he asked, smiling as he quirked an eyebrow.

"What?" I sighed out, replying with exactly what he wanted to hear.

"My rock collection!" he exclaimed, pulling it out of the bottom shelf of his closet.

I held back a laugh as my hand slapped my forehead.