Chapter 30 // The Party Type

Hey, everyone! Sorry for not updating yesterday. I announced I wouldn't be posting that day on my message board, but in case any of you didn't see it, I just started a new semester and things have been a bit hectic lately, so today worked a lot better for me to post. Hope you enjoy!
•~~~~~~•

After explaining my lunch experience with Logan, it got quiet for a couple of minutes, giving me lots of time to overthink what I just told him.

Logan eventually broke the silence, changing the topic - both of which I was thankful for.

"Landon Hanson is having a party tonight - are you going?"

I almost laughed at his question, finding the answer completely obvious to me, but containing it nonetheless.

"No...I don't really go to parties," I drawled out, slightly shocked at his oblivion.

"Why not?" he asked, seeming genuinely curious.

I paused for a moment, wondering how he didn't already know the answer to that just by looking at me.

"I mean...I'm not exactly the party type if you know what I mean."

He raised a brow at me.

"No, I don't know what you mean."

I hesitated, trying to find the right words to describe my reasoning.

"Well, I'm not popular for one. If that reason in itself isn't enough, then I am also not a fan of the big crowds, not to mention the bad taste in music...I don't know. I just can't help but think of all the other things I could be doing with my time instead of going to some party that I'm most likely not going to enjoy," I explained shrugging.

"Okay, I see where you're coming from. But, you know, whether you go to a party or not, doesn't have to be determined by popularity - or going anywhere or doing anything else for that matter.

"I don't care if the whole school knows your name, or if it's just me. You have every right to do the same things as everyone else, Harper. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

We stared at each other, his eyes holding determination, as I remained stunned at his words.

The bus suddenly went over a pothole, causing us to stumble in our seats until the bus finally steadied.

A few seconds later the bus slowed to a stop as the familiar view of our bus stop shone through the window.

I looked back at him to catch him glancing at me, before standing up, grabbing his backpack.

We made our way down the aisle, and eventually down the steps, slowly walking to our houses.

I hesitated, before working up the courage to try to break the silence.

"I hope you know I'm still not going to that party," I teased as we began going our separate ways.

He looked up at me, a smile tugging at his lips.

"I'll see you later, Harper," he finally said, shaking his head.

I let out a small laugh, thankful for the light, playful feel of the conversation.

"See you!" I shouted back, making my way inside the house, a smile still on my face.