Chapter 36 // The Topic of Dating

Hey everyone! Sorry for not posting yesterday, but here's the new chapter! I hope you enjoy and have a great day! ❤️
•~~~~~~•

"That's not quite right..." I mumbled out as I erased the pencil marks in my notepad.

I had been working on my new song for about an hour now, deciding to take what I had previously meant to be just a small piece to be an actual song, adding more detail and lyrics to it.

The song was starting to come together and it actually really helped me to be able to put my feelings into words as well as express myself better, instead of leaving these feelings bottled up inside.

I felt that flow of satisfaction rush through me as I sang through a completed line, a smile forming on my face.

A flash of colour in my peripheral vision caught my eye, causing me to shift my gaze up and out of my window.

I was confused at the empty room in front of me, when Logan suddenly rushed out from beside the window, carrying a notepad and marker which prompted me to reach for my own.

"What are you playing?" he wrote, a blush forming on my face as I thought of the answer to his question.

"I'm not really playing anything, just kind of messing around." I decided to go with, not fully lying.

"Cool. Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to come over today?"

I couldn't think of anything better to do on a Sunday, and I was pretty sure I would've chosen hanging out with him over anything I could've thought of anyway.

"Sure!" I showed him, hoping the simple word and punctuation fit into that happy medium of not too eager, but still excited.

"Awesome, just come to the back door whenever you're ready."

I just nodded back, collecting my phone and heading to the bathroom to finish getting ready before jogging down the stairs.

"Where are you going, Harper?" I heard my mom call from another room as I reached the bottom.

"Just to Logan's," I answered, slipping on my sneakers.

"That Logan kid again, huh?" my dad commented questioningly, slowly making his way to the entrance as he dried his hands on a hand towel.

"Yup..."

I knew that my dad wanted more information out of me than just a simple 'yup', but honestly there wasn't much more to say.

I had already told them earlier that we weren't dating - which I'm pretty sure was the conclusion they were looking for by asking about Logan in the first place - but maybe my dad was just hoping for some assurance that this was still the case.

"We're not dating, Dad," I finally said with a sigh.

His shoulders relaxed as soon as he heard those words, taking in a big breath of air and letting it back out as my mom came out from around the corner and placed a hand on Dad's shoulder.

"It's not that we're against you dating, Harper. We're completely fine with that-" she began.

"What?! I'm not!" my dad argued with wide eyes, earning a light smack upside the head from mom.

"Don't listen to your father. He's just too overprotective for life," she mumbled, rolling her eyes. "Anyway, as I was saying, we would just like you to let us know when you do decide to start dating."

She sent a look over to Dad who was standing beside her, rubbing his head. He let out a sigh as his hand moved from the back of his head, down his face.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but we're not super comfortable with the idea of you dating yet - at least not quite as comfortable as you probably are already," he mumbled out, looking to the side.

I noticed my mom raising an eyebrow at him.

"Okay, maybe that's more relevant to me than your mother."

Despite the somewhat serious atmosphere and conversation, I couldn't help but let out a breath of a laugh at their exchanged looks and words.

"It's okay if you guys aren't quite comfortable with the idea yet, I don't expect you to be. Right now I'm not seeing anybody, but if or when I do, I'll let you guys know. But that means you have to promise to not freak out then," I finished, switching eye contact between the two.

"Fair enough," answered my mom, hugging my dad's arm subconsciously.

"Okay...but I'm still watching that Logan boy!" Dad warned.

My mom rolled her eyes slightly before turning back to me.

"We'll see you later, Harp."

I waved, a smile on my face, before opening the door.

"Bye."