Explanation

Hyerin stepped out of the black Honda once one of the guards opened the door for her and Chen.

They led them to the main quarters, which was a massive and oddly structured building that had tinted bulletproof glass as walls. The architecture looked like a giant black cube tilted to the side as if it was going to fall to the ground. At the very top of the skyscraper in huge, italicized letters was M-LX.

They walked to the entrance, though entering the premises took quite a while because of heavy security measures they had to go through. When they finally got through, they were escorted by a new set of guards to the elevator.

The interior was as chic and modern as the assemble – black and white furniture and bizarre-looking electronics Hyerin had never seen before in her life. People were dressed like aristocrats as they sauntered to their designated work areas silently.

Chen looked around anxiously before catching up to her, clutching her arm. "I don't think this is a very good idea, Hyerin." He would have never known her name if Agent Zero didn't mention it earlier.

"For you it isn't, but for me it is," she said, not giving him a glance as they entered the elevator.

"What if...what if this is a trap? What if they aren't really going to help?" He casted a worried glance at the elevator's closing doors. "Why did you even say yes?" he asked in a quieter voice. "We have no weapons or anything at all to protect us."

"Because I can kill each and every man in this elevator if I wanted to," she said in an intentionally loud voice before giving Chen a skeptical look. "If you're so worried, why did you come along then? I told you that you didn't have to."

Chen frowned at her, then sighed and folded his arms. "I don't know. I just can't leave you alone like that."

She looked up at him. She was very grateful for what he did for her, but she was absolutely capable of taking care of herself.

"Thanks," she said nonetheless. He nodded in return.

Once the elevator dinged open, they were led to another narrow hallway. Hyerin couldn't count how many corners they turned, but she was sure if she were to go through all this again by herself, it would take hours for her to find a way out.

They walked further down to the very end of the corridor, where a single glass door with a keypad next to it can be found. One of the guards punched in the code and a rectangular LED screen appeared above the keypad. It produced a red streak of light that scanned the guard from head-to-toe for identification.

After a few seconds, the glass door slid upwards and they entered the room.

It was a fairly large hexagonal office with a long table in the center, numerous LED screens on the walls that showed incomprehensible codes and blueprints of eccentric-looking devices. Chairs were situated around the glass table, and at the very end of it was no other than Agent Zero.

They were ushered further inside and made to sit on each side of the man.

"I owe you both an apology for what happened," he started, his tone of voice softer than earlier, "and also an explanation." His eyes turned to Hyerin.

She sucked in a huge breath. "I'm confused," she admitted. "I have no idea what this is all about."

"Firstly, I must break down to you this organization." He clasped his hands together. "We are M-LX, a confidential system that deals with extreme and dangerous situations that occur in our country from unknown regions. We handle cases that require advanced technology to detect, manage, and obliterate anything that disrupts the country. You can say we are an improved and much more developed version of the CIA1 or whatever armed forces they can offer."