Take Cover

According to a bunch of Gwangju locals, the night flea market was the busiest during Sundays. These were the times when vendors would attach more colorful quilts over their makeshift stands, shouting louder than usual in hopes of attracting more customers than the stall across from theirs. Husbands went around to look for the cheapest cuts of meat while wives went and bargained for the prettiest scarves they could find for their children during the wintertime. Rows and rows of stalls selling a variety of items lined the sides of the streets, leaving the area in the middle clear for the people walking around.

Sehun and Hyerin walked arm in arm along the night market, dressed heavily in layers of jackets and wool scarves to fight off the cold.

“I don’t know how they do it,” Sehun mumbled. “I just don’t understand how they do it.”

“Do what?” Hyerin asked uninterestedly as she pulled Sehun towards a small stand selling hats.

“We’ve been here in Gwangju for two weeks already and I still can’t believe how these people can stay in this cold weather every night.” Sehun picked up a black fedora and tried it on. “Does the weather not affect them at all?”

Hyerin shrugged. “Well obviously they need the money.”

“How can they earn money when everything here is like, way cheaper? If they want to have a lot of money they should go to Seoul and work there.” Sehun placed the fedora back on the table and walked further along the market. “Seriously, it’s so cheap here, especially the food,” he said. “And speaking of food, let’s go get something to eat.”

“I think that’s a food stand over there,” Hyerin muttered, making her way through the crowd.

Once they made it to the street food stand, Hyerin ordered bungeoppang while Sehun asked for two servings of dakkochi and soondae.

“But you know,” he blew his dakkochi to cool it down, “I do kind of like it here.”

“Me too,” Hyerin agreed, taking a bite. “It still doesn’t feel like home, though.”

Sehun looked down at Hyerin, the corners of his mouth tugging upwards. “Well you’re doing a really good job so far.”

Hyerin stared up at him. “With what?”

“With cooperating. You’re being a really good sport about all this and I know for a fact that it’s not easy,” Sehun said, burying his hand inside his coat pocket while the other held the small food container. “Believe it or not I expected you to have at least one or two tantrums and so far you haven’t complained even once.”

Hyerin scoffed, pushing the boy away. “Jerk.”

“I really admire that about you, though,” he said, starting down the pavement. “I wish I was more like that. Strong physically and mentally and doesn’t take crap from anyone.”

Hyerin shook her head. “Trust me, you don’t want to be like that,” she chuckled a little. “You’ll be a pain in the ass a hundred percent of the time.”

“I just really miss home,” he mumbled. “I mean, Gwangju’s a beautiful place and all but we don’t belong here.”

“I know.”

“It just doesn’t feel right. I want to go back to Seoul, but then again I don’t really have anyone to go home to.” He lowered his head. “Not anymore.”

Hyerin sighed, patting Sehun’s back. “I’m really sorry about what happened to your mom.”

“Eh.” He shrugged. “Shit happens,” he said casually, although his eyes were starting to water.