Fireworks

Baekhyun stepped in front of his mirror as he slipped on his leather gloves, the kind that were up to the knuckles, and proceeded to put on his heavy, multi-functional belt that had his name engraved on the metal buckle. The look was completed with his black fitted shirt, cargo pants, and combat boots, his glasses stored inside one of the mini compartments in his belt. The corners of his mouth tugged upward, a sense of comfort taking over him just by looking at himself in his M-LX uniform. It wasn’t too long ago, but it felt like ages since he wore it.

Three knocks on his door interrupted his train of thought.

“Come in,” he said, turning around to see who it was. It was Kyungsoo, also fully dressed.

“What’s up,” Kyungsoo greeted casually, closing the door behind him.

“Hey, how’s it going,” Baekhyun said, unconsciously sizing up the boy. Only a couple of weeks had passed since the last time he took a good look at Kyungsoo and just like Hyerin, he changed a whole lot; he was tanner, his biceps were more cut and his chest was broader. His stance and aura felt different, intimidating even, and just the way he carried himself had an air of masculinity. Baekhyun almost forgot that he was much older than him.

Baekhyun cleared his throat, fixing his slouching posture as he walked over to his bed to pack his weapons. “So,” he started as he gathered his things, “what made you stop by?”

“For several reasons. But first of all, is everything set?”

Baekhyun nodded. “Agent M, Agent Zero, and I had a small meeting earlier this morning to finalize everything. Aside from our unit, fifteen other agents will be joining this mission.”

“Only fifteen?”

“Yes. No more than that or else we’ll be short on men if ever the ones we bring with us die. We have only a few agents left and we can’t risk it.”

Kyungsoo sighed, folding his arms. “Alright,” he mumbled under his breath, looking a little agitated.

Baekhyun glanced over at Kyungsoo. “What? You nervous?”

“No, I have to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“I’m not leaving with them.”

Baekhyun shrugged, zipping up his backpack. “I know. Agent M told me. It’s actually a good decision because we definitely need your strength for our missions after we get Hyerin out of here. Plus, seeing how…buff you’ve gotten I would want to train with you.”

Kyungsoo chuckled slightly, almost humorlessly. “That’s the thing,” he said. “I’m staying. You’re leaving with them.”

Baekhyun stiffened. Slowly, he turned around to face Kyungsoo, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape.

He blinked several times. “M-Me?” he stuttered. “What are you talking about?”

“You’re going to leave with them, Baek, that’s what I’m talking about,” he repeated.

“But,” He stopped midsentence, switching from one foot to another as he looked at Kyungsoo with a mix of panic and uncertainty, “but that’ll ruin the plan! That’s not what we decided on, D.O, everyone will be mad.

“I already talked to the two heads about it, it’s going to be fine,” Kyungsoo reassured.

“But they would have certainly told me about that if you did!”

“They know how you would react so they decided not to mention it. I volunteered to tell you,” he said, shrugging. “That’s why I’m here.”