Breaking Point

The door to Agent M’s laboratory slid open, allowing Kyungsoo to enter. The boy staggered inside with several bruises and a bloody head, left hand clutching his right arm as a poor attempt to keep the metal contraption in tact. He ignored Agent M’s assistants as he made his way towards Agent M himself who was busy inspecting the bionic arm laid out on a metal gurney.

Agent M looked up from the arm, surprised to see Kyungsoo.

“Kyungsoo!” he said out of surprise. “What are you doing here so soon?”

“Sir,” he wheezed, bowing to the man. “The mission was successful. We managed to get Hyerin and the others across the border.”

Agent M stared at him for a while before speaking. “What the hell happened to you?” he asked, referring to the boy’s injuries.

“Going back here wasn’t easy. We were practically cornered by Xinths. Plus, Blue and TOP were there too,” he said, running a hand through his hair. “But it’s okay. It’s over for now.”

“I see,” Agent M mumbled. “Then you go rest for a while, Kyungsoo.”

“No,” Kyungsoo said in a stern voice. “I want to do the operation now.”

Agent M raised a brow. “Right now?”

“Right now.”

“Kyungsoo-” He paused for a moment before chuckling humorlessly at the boy’s eagerness. “You know you need to take a shower first, right?” he asked to lighten the mood even just a little bit.

With all seriousness, Kyungsoo whipped around to go back to his room to take a shower when Agent M stopped him.

“Kyungsoo!” he called out. Kyungsoo turned around.

Agent M shook his head, confused. “Why are you rushing so much? I know that you know full well what this operation can lead to. Or have you forgotten?” he asked. “I’m not entirely confident about this and you shouldn’t be either. Are you sure you’ve really thought about this?”

Kyungsoo turned around to face Agent M. “The moment I saw that bionic arm I knew I wanted to get it. I know how risky it is to do this, but I really want it. I need it,” he said, looking at the older man with desperation. “And I know that you know that, too.”

Agent M squeezed the bridge of his nose. “I don’t know, Kyungsoo. I treat you like my own son and-”

“And I treat you like my own father, sir,” Kyungsoo interrupted, giving Myungjae a small smile. “That’s why I trust you. And you trust me, too – you wouldn’t have made that arm in the first place if you didn’t.”

Agent M gave the boy one last look before sighing and collapsing in one of the chairs. “You know Hyerin would kill me for this right?” he sighed, running a hand over his tired face. “Did you tell her why you stayed back?”

Kyungsoo looked down on the floor, shaking his head. “No,” he mumbled. “If I did it would’ve been harder to send her away,” he said and chuckled, remembering the kiss. He glanced up at Agent M who was just staring at him.

“She’s safer out there with them. With Baekhyun,” he said quietly. “I’m sure he’ll take care of her,” he whispered, giving Agent M a nod before heading out of the laboratory.

---

Baekhyun turned off the engine of the car, taking off his glasses to rub his eyes before putting them back on and turning to the others at the back. Everyone was asleep.

“Guys,” Baekhyun said, shaking Kris’ leg, “we’re here.”

It didn’t take too long for the others to wake up and open their eyes. Some stretched and yawned, while the others peeked out the window of the van.