Preperations

You and Katniss were exiting the woods gathering your last bit of game before the reaping. You had three sisters to feed and you wouldn't know what would happen if you got reaped and they were hungry. You caught two squirrels and two rabbits. You said goodbye to Katniss and headed home to get ready for the reaping. All of your sisters were too young to get reaped but you were 17 and since you signed up for tesserae, your name was entered 36 times. You got your dress on, said goodbye to Katniss, and had one last stop before heading to the reaping.

Peeta Mellark's house. Once you got there you knocked on the door and he answered before embracing you in a hug.

Your POV

I knocked on Peeta's door and before I could even say hello he pulled me into a tight hug. I hugged him back and we stayed like that for atleast 5 minutes before he finally pulled away. "Hi y/n" he said. "Hi Peeta. I just wanted to say goodbye before going to the reaping." "Yeah- about that..." "yeah?" "I have something to tell y-" "Y/N!!!!!" My little sister."coming! Sorry I gotta go Peet." "Oh. Yeah. It's alright. Good luck." "Thanks you too." We hugged one last time before I led my sisters to the square where all the kids of district 12 were lined up. We parted ways after they all hugged me. All of a sudden, I heard Prim scream and Katniss try to calm her down saying, "it's only a little blood Prim. It'll be okay." It was my turn and after they pricked my finger, I walked to my seat. Effie Trinket soon appeared on the stage. I looked over at Gale, my cousin, and saw him mouth "May the odds be ever in your favor!" really stupidly and I chuckled. Effie tapped the mic to get everyone's attention. "Good morning district 12! Before we get started with today's reaping, I will be presenting a video by the Capitol themselves!" The same video they play every year about reaching the districts a lesson for rebelling plays on a giant screen. After the video ends, Effie reaches for the big glass bowl that holds all of the girl's names in it.

Please don't be me. Please don't be me.

"Ladies first!" Effie reaches into the bowl and slowly pulls out a slip of paper. She opens it and by this point, I've pinched myself so many times I have marks. "Katniss Everdeen! Come on up dear!" Only one word goes through my mind.

No. No No No.

I see Katniss rise and slowly walk toward the stage.

She has an unstable mother and a helpless little sister why ddI it have to be her?! And I too of it all, she's my best friend.

Without thinking, I jump out of my seat and scream at the top of my lungs, "I VOLUNTEER! I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!"
" Wow! I don't believe it! We have district 12's first volunteer! What's your name dear?"
"Y/n."

Peeta's POV

I was heartbroken when I heard y/n volunteer. I wasn't ready to lose her. Yes, she's my best friend, but I also have a huge crush on her. I could only hope that I go into the games and stay in long enough to protect her at all costs, even if it means that I die in the process. I carefully listen for Effie Trinket to announce the male tribute. "Now for the boys!" She takes out a small slip of paper and carefully opens it. "Peeta Mellark. Everyone, our district 12 tributes!" Effie is the only one who claps. I watch as everyone put three finger to their lips and hold them up to me and y/n. The only thing I can do at this point is do my best to protect her.