The Unexpected

Peeta POV

At dawn, Cato and I told y/n that we were going hunting and told her to gather as much water as possible. I ran to the cornucopia with Cato chasing me yelling, "COME HERE 12." I grabbed the bag quickly and ducked as Cato swung a spear at me. This was all part of the plan of course.  We started running and I thought I heard another set of footsteps. I didn't have time to look though so I kept running. I only turned around to see Thresh sticking a knife in Cato's back. I thought he would come for me but instead he just yelled, "Just this time 12. For Rue." And he ran off. I was stunned. Thresh thought he was sparing my life. But why? Because we spared Rue's life? I ran over to Cato who was choking on his last breaths. "Cato! Don't worry, it'll be okay!" "It's alright Peeta. The time was going to come. Take care of her please. Make sure you or her leave this arena." "Got it Cato. I'm so sorry. She loved you ya know." Cato just smiled as his heart stopped and his eyes closed. I didn't even want to think about what y/n would do. She would freak once she heard that I went behind her back and killed her best friend. She'd probably kill me for revenge. I couldn't believe it.

I killed Cato.

Authors Note: sorry this was a short chapter. I just wanted to create some suspense 😋. Enjoy the story!