The final battle

Peeta POV

I walked back to the cave and went inside with y/n. She had filled all of our canteens with water. "Where's Cato?" "He um." "Peeta. What happened. Where's Cato?" "He's dead alright! And it's all my fault!" I felt a tear slide down my cheek. "WHAT?! YOU KILLED HIM?!" "No no!! Thresh thought he was saving my life by killing Cato." "Why would he even think that in the first place??" I told y/n the whole story on how we had devised a plan to get her the medicine and how Thresh thought Cato was after me. She started to cry and dropped to her knees. I didn't think she wanted my comfort but I hugged her anyway. She just buried her head into my chest and we stayed like that for about 10 minutes. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry." I said. "I'm just glad it wasn't you." I was surprised by her answer. I thought she'd be furious with me. We were interrupted when Claudius made yet another announcement. "Attention tributes. There is now a new rule. Two victors can be crowned as long as they are from the same district. Thank you." "We could leave together" She says. "I can't believe it." I say back. I look back at her as she wipes away her tears. I realize I hadn't even given her the healing cream. "Here" I hand it to her. She applies it on her arms and the wounds heal almost instantly. "Woah. This Capitol stuff is high tech" I chuckle. "Yeah I guess it is. Who's our biggest threat?" "Probably Thresh. He giant and seems like a brutal killer. All he wants is to leave the arena."

*boom*

Three of us remain. "Who do you think it was?" I ask. "Not sure. Could've been either." I'd feel kind of bad if it were Thresh. He was kind enough to try and save me from danger, even though I wasn't really in danger. Y/n seemed to read my thoughts. "I know. But we have to get out of here together." "Together." She's right. I made a commitment to get her out of here and I'm going to honor it. "Should we go looking for him y/n?" "Yeah let's go." "I saw him in a meadow when you were with the careers. Wanna check there?" "Sure let's go." We was over to the meadow. I remember where it is because there were birds there that wouldn't stop singing. All you had to do was follow the songs. Once we got there we crept around the parts of the meadow. And then we saw him. Giant. Strong. And definitely capable of killing both of us combined. He stared at us like we were prey and he was the predator. We both ran after him as he ran after us. We had to be clever and swift to beat him. Y/n took the left side and I took the right. He cut my leg but y/n quickly stepped in. She through her spear through his heart once he turned around causing him to drop to the ground. We waited until his eyes were lifeless and new we were the victors.